Wednesday, September 8, 2021

LOVE is everything

READ: Isaiah 11,12; Psalms 68; 1 Corinthians 13

SCRIPTURE: 1 Corinthians 13: 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

OBSERVATION: For many Christians, 1 Corinthians 13 is a favorite chapter of the Bible. All who read it would readily accept the greatness of love described in 1 Cor.13. However, when asked about practicing such love in life, people would tell about their difficulties or excuses in practicing the love. They may say, apart from God, who could love like that? Some may say that we are trying to practice love; they may hope to achieve such love someday. In the first three verses of 1 Cor.13, Paul tells us that love is greater than spiritual gifts. Verses 4-7 say about 15 features of love. In verses 8-13, Paul explains the enduring nature of love.

The word love has a range of meanings depending on the context. There are at least six Greek words for love: Agape, Eros, Philia, Storge, Philautia, and Xenia. In 1 Corinthians 13, Paul uses “Agape,”  which refers to unconditional or selfless love. Many people think that love is a concept, or a philosophy, or a feeling. Interestingly, 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 describes the actions of love. The Bible encourages, “let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” (1 Jn.3:18; 4:16). The Bible testifies about God’s love for us. As we read in Romans 5:8, “God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Jesus Christ called us to remain in his love and commanded us, “ Love each other as I have loved you” (Jn.15:9, 12). Lack of love is one of the fundamental reasons that causes many problems in the Christian church, fellowships, workplaces, and organizations. It is our love that helps others. If there is no love in us, we will not use our spiritual gifts to benefit others. Love is the foundation of our Christian faith and hope. Loving one another is an oft-repeated command of Jesus and N.T teaching. Jesus said, “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (Jn.13:35).

APPLICATION: I have learned what is love and what is not love. First of all, love is not merely talking about it. It is about what I do in my actions. As I understand the greatness of love and its permanence, I must/will do my best to practice love in my life. I should love others just as Jesus loved me.

PRAYER: Loving God, thank you for your love for me. Jesus, help me to remain in love and love one another every day. Lord, help me love you with all my heart, mind, soul, and all my strength. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 250

No comments: