Saturday, January 1, 2022

Come to receive the double blessing of the Lord

READ: Zechariah 9-10; Proverbs 28; Revelation 18

SCRIPTURE:  Zechariah 9: 11 As for you, because of the blood of my covenant with you, I will free your prisoners from the waterless pit.
12 Return to your fortress, you prisoners of hope; even now I announce that I will restore twice as much to you.

OBSERVATION: In ancient times, people punished their enemies and repeated offenders by throwing them in a dry and dilapidated well or pit (E.g., Joseph, Jeremiah). Here we see a similar situation where God’s people are prisoners who were forced to live in a condition of a waterless pit. They were with no hope, no comfort, or help to survive in the land. But God promised them that he would deliver them. God remembers his covenant, the blood covenant (Exo.24:6-8), with his people. When God delivers his people, he invites them to return to him. Our God is the strong fortress for his people. He calls the hopeless prisoners as prisoners of hope. Israelites said, “Our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off” (Eze.37:11). God says that his people can find hope in him when they return to him. God promises a double blessing to those who come to him. God tells his people that he will “restore twice” of what they have lost to their enemy.

The messiah is the hope of all Israel and the HOPE for all people. Through his sacrifice on the Cross, Lord Jesus Christ made a blood covenant to save all people. He invites all people to come to him and give them his rest to their souls (Mt.11:28-30). Jesus the Messiah promises, “Instead of your shame you will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace you will rejoice in your inheritance. And so you will inherit a double portion in your land, and everlasting joy will be yours” (Is.61:7). Our present situation, things, and people around us may not offer any ray of hope for a bright future. But God says, “even now,” regardless of our situation, he will “restore”   everything. God calls all who are thirsty to come to him to satisfy thirstiness and hungry “without money and without cost” (Is.55:1-3). Jesus told the Samaritan woman that “whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life” (Jn.4:14). In front of us, God’s deliverance, his invitation to stay secure in him, and God’s promise for restoration. When we believe and come to God, he will fulfill his word. Who will neglect such a blessing of God!

APPLICATION: When I face physical and spiritual draughts, I can come to God. He alone can satisfy all my needs. I should not see how big my problem or worries before me. Instead, I must see how great and mighty my God is! Not just to receive his blessings, but for a covenantal relationship that is based on love, I come to God. I know him better every day as I commune with him continuously. Christ gives me hope against all hopes and never fails to fulfill his promises.

 PRAYER: Father God, thank you for the hope and promise you give me today. Lord, thank you for your love for me and faithfulness in fulfilling the promises you have given me. Holy Spirit, help me to remember God’s word today and remain in his love forever. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day – 361

(Tamil version of this devotion is posted here)

No comments: