Thursday, November 25, 2021

A word for all seasons

READ: Ezekiel 43,44; Psalms 144; James 5

SCRIPTURE: James 5: 13 Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise.

OBSERVATION: Some people say about something that did not happen by saying, “If I had done this, I would have avoided or received this.” Some people live in their past; they either live in their past glory or regret their past failures. We must remember that what is past is past; we cannot change it. We must live in the present and prepare ourselves for the future. In James 5, we see some practical suggestions to live in our present. James asks some simple questions and tells us what should be done in such situations. When a person is in trouble, his immediate response should be prayer. In Jam.5:13, James does not mention what kind of trouble it is. The Jewish Christians of that time were facing persecution, discrimination, and humiliation for their Christian faith. We may face various troubles in our lives. At such times, when we pray, we express our reliance on God and seek his help and power to overcome our trouble.

As we pray, we can be confident in God that “there is no need that prayer cannot meet and no problem that prayer cannot solve.” When we read the context of James 5:13, we see that prayer is the key theme in James 5:13-18. Every verse of this passage says something about prayer. Eusebius, a third-century Christian leader, writes that James was a man of prayer who believed in the power of prayer. He was known for spending more time on his knees and praying for the people. His knees became calloused like a camel’s, so people called him “The man with Camel’s Knees.” James writes from what he practiced in his life.

 When a person is happy, James calls to “sing songs of praise.” Whether we suffer or prosper, we can go to God in prayer and praise. We should not forget our God who blesses us. As Steven J. Cole says, “all of life, whether suffering or sufficiency, should be lived with a God-ward, God-dependent focus.” In chapter 1, James writes, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds” (Jam.1:2). Pastor David Guzik says, “James has the same advice for both the suffering one and the cheerful one: take it all to the Lord. In fact, the two commands could be reversed: sufferers should sing also, and the cheerful should also pray.” Regardless of our present situation, we can pray and praise God for everything.

APPLICATION: Whenever I face troubles in my life before looking for help from others, I must remember to seek God in prayer. When I pray, I find the strength to go through the trouble I face; I submit myself to obey God and his will. When I pray and praise God, it turns my attention to God; he becomes the source of my strength and joy, not my present situation.

PRAYER: Father God, you are my “refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” (Ps.46:1). Lord, help me to seek you always and live under your care and power. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day – 327

No comments: