Saturday, November 6, 2021

Love repairs and restores relationships

READ: Ezekiel 7,8; Psalms 126; Philemon 1

SCRIPTURE: Philemon 1: 8 Therefore, although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do,
9 yet I prefer to appeal to you on the basis of love. It is as none other than Paul—an old man and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus—
10 that I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains.
11 Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me.

OBSERVATION:  Many people think they can escape hardship by running away from their problems or where they live. At times, you may have heard others saying that I want to live a peaceful life by going somewhere. If they run away, it may give them temporary relief but not a permanent solution. We do not know why Onesimus fled from his master Philemon to Rome. According to the law of that time, Onesimus would receive severe punishment if his master found him. But God found Onesimus; he became a Christian through Paul’s ministry when Paul was in Roman imprisonment. Onesimus was useless before but became useful and helpful for all in his new life in Christ. Paul’s letter to Philemon has many practical and valuable messages for Christian love and life.

Paul was a prisoner of Christ, but it did not stop his Gospel work. In 2 Tim.2:9, he says, “I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained.” Through Paul, both the master and the slave came to the saving knowledge of Christ. Although Paul could have commanded Philemon to accept Onesimus,  he appeals “on the basis of love.”  Paul sent Onesimus back to help Philemon, not because he was useless. Paul gave priority to restoring love and relationship than keeping Onesimus with him. He did not send Onesimus as a slave but “as a dear brother” and fellow man in the Lord. Not only that, Paul asked Philemon to accept his spiritual son Onesimus as in the same way Philemon would welcome Paul. Further, Paul was willing to pay for Onesimus if he owed anything to Philemon. This epistle reminds us a lot more about Christ’s sacrifice, his teaching of love. Let us examine ourselves: how do we behave with fellow Christians, pastors, leaders? Do our relationships are based on God’s love?  Are we ready to forgive and accept one another just as Christ loved, forgave, and accepted us? Let us ask the Lord what more he wants to teach us through this loving letter to Philemon.  

APPLICATION:  My Christian life should be based on Christ’s love. I cannot practice love without remaining in Christ. Based on my past experiences, I should not keep hatred or bitterness about any person. In Christ, all are useful and helpful. I should see others just as Christ sees them. Christ’s love and peace rule my heart.  

PRAYER:  Father God, thank you for your words that give us insightful guidance to practice love. Jesus, keep me near the cross to follow your commands of love. Holy Spirit, help me to grow in love and faith every day. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 309

No comments: