Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Our tongue under God’s control

READ: Ezekiel 39,40; Psalms 142; James 3

SCRIPTURE: James 3: 8 But no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness.
10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.

OBSERVATION: In animal shows and circuses, we see animals, from fishes, birds to big-sized elephants,  obeying their trainers or their incredible performance. For example, an elephant standing on a small stool, ferocious animals like tigers and lions’ obedience, and their playful acts surprise us. Mishaps in such events happen rarely;  Oftentimes, they happen because of human errors. While we are able to train animals to do things against their natural character, we humans struggle to control our words and thoughts. Taming an animal is an art that is possible with severe and continuous training and exercise. “No human being” can have complete control of their tongue unless they come under God’s discipline and training.

In verses 9 and 10, James tells us how we inappropriately use our tongue. With our tongue, we praise God and then abuse human who is created in the image of God. Contrasting words can come from our mouths. We may justify our words by giving reasons like, “they deserve it,” “somebody has to tell it to him/her, so I did,” and so on. James emphatically says that blessing and cursing should not come forth from the same mouth: “this should not be.” Although James, one of the Early Church leaders who were “esteemed as pillars,”  identifies himself with the readers instead of accusing and blaming them. In James 3:2, we read, “We all stumble in many ways.” However, we should not allow our human weaknesses to defile us.

Jesus warns us, “everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken” (Mt.12:36). In Matthew 15:18, Jesus says, “the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.” At times, we may lose control over our words and speak unwanted words with a slip of the tongue. “The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit” (Pro.18:21). As David prayed, we too can ask the Lord that “Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips” (Ps.141:3).

APPLICATION: Jesus has called me only to bless others (Lk. 6:28, Rom.12:14). I need to treasure God’s word in my heart to avoid sinning against the Lord through my words. I should not allow “any unwholesome talk” to come out of my mouth; I must speak “only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs” (Eph.4:29). I will speak words that encourage, edify, and equip others in Christ.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for the Word of life you have given me. Jesus, I can do nothing without you. Lord, help me to bless others with all of my heart and words. Holy Spirit, help me be spirit-filled and take control of my mouth to speak godly and grace-filled words always. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day – 325

No comments: