Saturday, November 13, 2021

Standing in the gap

READ: Ezekiel 21,22; Psalms 133; Hebrews 7

SCRIPTURE: Ezekiel 22: 30 I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.

OBSERVATION:  Ezekiel 22: 30 is often used to encourage and challenge Christians to make intercessory prayers for others and their nation. In Ezekiel’s time, God “found no one” to stand before him in the gap. False prophets whitewashed the injustice and ungodly deeds that existed in the land and gave false hope to the people “by false visions and lying divination” (v.28). A lesser-known interpretation for Eze. 22: 30 is that God is calling his people to repent and turn to him. God appointed Ezekiel as “a watchman for the house of Israel” (Ez.3:17; 33:1-7). The primary duty of the God-appointed watchman is to speak God’s words that warn people to repent from their sinful ways. Further, a watchman would immediately alert the people if he sees any approaching enemies or dangers in the distance. Through Ezekiel, God warned his people about the coming danger from Babylon and called them to repent.   But they were too busy to listen to Ezekiel’s words by hearing and believing the sugar-coated words of false prophets. Many people like to hear only the words of blessing, not the words that condemn them and call them to repent to God. We should not be like that; we must always be ready to listen to God and obey him.

When we make intercessory prayers for others, God listens to them. He is the God who answers our prayers. Starting from Abraham’s prayer for Lot (Gen.18), we see many examples of intercessory prayers in the Bible. In Exodus 32 and Psalms 106, we read about Moses’s prayer for the Israelites when they sinned against God. He remembered God’s promises to the patriarchs and pleaded for God’s mercies to save his people. Moses “stood in the breach before” God and saved his people from destruction ( Ps.106:23). God appalls when he finds no one to intervene and pray for others (Is.59:16, 63:5). Hebrews 7:26 says, Jesus, our great high priest, continually intercedes for us. As followers of Christ, we are to stand in the gap for our nation and people to save from destruction.

APPLICATION:  When God looks for someone who would stand before him in the gap and intercede for his/her people, I will say, “Here am I.” I should not overlook ungodly ways and injustice among my people. I must pray for them that they may find God’s salvation and find rest in him. I should be faithful to God in proclaiming his word.

PRAYER:  Father God, thank you for listening to my prayers and answering them. Lord, I want to intercede for my people in prayer. Lord, give me “the Spirit of grace and supplication” (Zech.12:1) and help me to “pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests” (Eph.6:18). Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day – 316

No comments: