Saturday, September 4, 2021

A principle to use our freedom in Christ

READ: Isaiah 5,6; Psalms 65; 1 Corinthians 10

SCRIPTURE: 1 Corinthians 10: 23 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive.
24 No one should seek their own good, but the good of others.

OBSERVATION: Nowadays, we read and speak a lot about individual freedom and rights. Many people do not want to hear anything that questions their lifestyle and their attitude towards others. They may use a popular phrase, “My life, my way,” and try to justify their actions. Does an unbridled life guarantee joy without limits? We see many people who wanted to satisfy their selfish desires exploit and harm others. They find no permanent happiness in their pursuit of pleasure. Corinthians wrote to Paul concerning their rights, “Everything is permissible.” The Corinth church had issues related to sexual immorality and eating the food offered to idols. They would have thought that their physical actions will not affect their spiritual life. Apostle Paul did not completely reject the idea of the right to do anything. However, he asks the Corinth Christians to consider few things in exercising their rights.

First, Paul told the Corinthian believers that although they have every right to do everything, “not everything is beneficial” (1 Cor.6:12; 10:23). All people would agree that doing something useless is meaningless. Secondly, Paul warned that we should not allow our freedom to use anything to enslave us (1 Cor.6:12). Thirdly, Paul considered that “not everything is constructive.” As Christians, we should be cautious in exercising our freedom in Christ. Christ did not liberate us to fall on the same traps that kept us away from God. We need to evaluate everything, whether it is appropriate or not for our Christian living. As Christians, we should not indulge in things that are not constructive. Finally, Paul advised the Corinthian believers to “seek the good of others.” A self-centered life is against Christ-centered life. Jesus Christ is our role model to live for the good of others. When we seek the welfare of others, it brings mutual joy. And we become the salt and light to the world. By considering the good of others, we fulfill the law of Christ (Gal.6:2). A selfish life never gives joy to others. But a Christian who does good for others contributes to the development of society and spreads kindness and love everywhere.

APPLICATION: I should not allow anything to enslave me. I am not a slave to worldly customs and my selfish thoughts. I will do things that benefit all. I will spend my time and energy on constructive and edifying things. As Paul says, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Gal.2:20).

PRAYER: My God, thank you for opening my eyes to see how I can use my freedom in Christ to bless others. Jesus, help me to do everything for the glory of God. (v.31). Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 247

No comments: