Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Hear my prayer and answer me

READ: Song of Songs 5,6; Psalms 61; 1 Corinthians 7

SCRIPTURE: Psalms 61: 1 Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.
2 From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

OBSERVATION: Praying is a common practice in almost all religions of the world. People think that prayer helps them to make their plea known to God. So, prayer gives them a kind of mental satisfaction. In many religions, people don’t expect an answer from their deity.  But, our prayers to God are two-way communication. When we pray, we expect an answer from God. The Bible says our God is the one who answers our prayers. David, the psalmist, did not mention the situation of Psalm 61. We understand from verse 2 that he must have been in a severe crisis that made him think he was close to death. We can pray to God anytime and from any corner of the world. When our life situations overwhelm us and weaken our hearts,  we may lose grip of our life and feel as if standing on quicksand. It seems the psalmist was in such a dreadful situation that he could not speak much. However, he called for God’s help. In verse 3, David asks God to lead him to the solid rock where he could stand firm. David was sure that the Lord was his rock, which he has repeatedly mentioned elsewhere in the book of psalms.

 The difficult times of our life make us aware that we need God’s help. The God who helped us in the past can help us in our present storms and struggles. God is our rock; he is our refuge and a strong tower to protect us from any dangers and attacks from the enemy. We have the confidence that God listens to our prayers and answer them. Therefore, whenever we find ourselves in an unmanageable situation or trouble, we can call God and plead with him to answer our prayers. God knows our needs even before we pray to him. When we call him “Abba, Father,” he responds to our prayers and leads us to do his will.

APPLICATION: I can pray to God always and in all places. When I begin to pray, I receive hope and assurance of deliverance from God. God strengthens me to stand firm against the tides and leads me to the rock higher than I. “He will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help” (Ps.72:12). God is my refuge, shield, fortress, strong tower, and my salvation.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for all the answers to the prayers of my heart. Lord, thank you for listening to me when I call you from the depths. Jesus, you are worthy of praise and worship. Lord, help me to praise you gladly and serve you faithfully. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 243

No comments: