Friday, September 3, 2021

Purpose-driven life

READ: Isaiah 3,4; Psalms 64; 1 Corinthians 9

SCRIPTURE: 1 Corinthians 9: 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.
27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

OBSERVATION: An ancient Tamil poet wrote, “Easy to every man the speech that shows the way; Hard thing to shape one’s life by words they say!” For many people, their actions do not match with their words. After mentioning his responsibility to preach the Gospel and his humility to win all people for Christ, Paul refers to two familiar scenes of the ancient world—running and boxing—to emphasize his commitment to serve the Lord. In any competition, only those who come first get the reward. However, all who participate in a game or competition would go through strict training. Christian life or our race of faith is different from worldly contests. We Christians would get the eternal, unperishable, and glorious reward from the Lord. All who complete the race successfully would receive their due prize.

1 Cor.9:26 tells us about Paul’s steadfast heart and the purpose of his Christian life. Paul does not want to be like someone unprepared and unequipped for a game. He controls and disciplines his body to avoid disqualification from the race. In other words, Paul does not allow his body to rule his life. Instead, he makes every effort to discipline his body. Paul is not saying about punishing his own body and leading an ascetic life. Rather, he expresses his heart’s desire to practice what he preached to others in his life. As Paul writes to Romans, “Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness” (Romans 6:12,13). Let us remember that we are not our own but bought at a price.

APPLICATION: As a Christian, I should practice what I preach to others. God has called me with a purpose. So I should make every effort to do my best to serve him faithfully. A slave listens to and obeys his master. Likewise, I should train my body to obey and honor Jesus Christ to “receive the crown of glory that will never fade away” (1 Peter 5:4).

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for helping me to understand your purpose for my life.  Lord, give me your strength to discipline my body to obey you always. Jesus, help me to live as your own and holy for the Lord. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 246

No comments: