Thursday, September 30, 2021

God’s word is powerful

 READ: Isaiah 55,56; Psalms 90; Galatians 5

SCRIPTURE: Isaiah 55: 10 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

OBSERVATION: The book of Isaiah reminds us of God’s many promises to his people.  Most of the verses we read and hear during special occasions, new beginnings (of a day, month, year), and many encouraging daily devotions are from the book of Isaiah. Even today, the words God spoke through his prophet Isaiah continue to strengthen his people and give them hope. Isaiah 55:10-11 explains how does God’s word work. Here we see an easy-to-understand and powerful picture that illustrates that the word of God will never fail to achieve its purpose.

First, we must know that the word of God comes from God. As apostle Peter says, “no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things” (2 Pet.1:20). Second, God’s words are not empty; they have purpose and power in them. It never returns empty. We may wonder why God sends his words to us. The primary purpose of God’s word is to communicate with us (Heb.1:1-2). And it provides us healing, deliverance (Ps.107:20). As Paul wrote to Timothy, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,  so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Tim.3:16-17). God’s words are “full of the Spirit and life” (Jn.6:63). It never fails to accomplish its’ purpose (Is.46:9-11). The Psalms 33:9 says, “For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm.” In Is.55:10-11, we see the purpose of rain; we see a list of things that it does when it comes down from heaven. When a land receives water from the rain and allows it to do its work, the land will yield more fruits. Likewise, God’s word will achieve its purpose. As the Bible says, “the word of God is alive and active” (Heb.4:12). We can trust God’s word in all situations (Is.40:8).  

APPLICATION: My God is the living God who speaks with me. Jeremiah says, “ When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight” (Jer.15:16).  When I hear God’s word, I should not hesitate to apply it to my life. God has a purpose for my life. His every word has a purpose of accomplishing things in my life. As I listen to God’s words and obey him, I experience all the blessings of God’s word.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for speaking with me even today. Open my ears to be attentive to your words and help me to allow your words to do what you want in me. Holy Spirit, lead me to walk in the light of the word of God. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 272

No comments: