Saturday, December 25, 2021

A personal conversation with God

READ: Habakkuk 1-3; Proverbs 21; Revelation 11

SCRIPTURE:  Habakkuk 1: 12 Lord, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, Lord, have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.
13 Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrongdoing. Why then do you tolerate the treacherous? Why are you silent while the wicked swallow up those more righteous than themselves?

OBSERVATION:  In our lives, when we face problems or see injustice, we often ask, “Why God?” At such times, we may doubt God or complain to him about the injustice around us. Prophet Habakkuk sees the injustice in his land and wonders why God is not doing anything? While complaining about the sins of Judah, he is also not able to accept the impending God’s judgment that the ungodly Babylonians will punish his people. In the book of Habakkuk, we see a unique conversation between God and his prophet Habakkuk. Habakkuk takes his questions to God and expects him to answer them; he is not afraid to ask his questions. In the first chapter, he expresses all his questions of “why” to God. He expectantly waits on God to receive answers to his questions (Hab.2:1). In the second chapter, we see God’s answer to Habakkuk’s question. In the third chapter, through a prayer, Habakkuk confesses his faith in God and expresses what he will do when God sends his judgment.

In this conversation between God and Habakkuk, we see profound practical truths that apply to all the times. When we have questions or doubts about God, we can directly ask God and get answers from him. For, he is our God. Asking our questions to the right person is essential to receive appropriate answers. Like Habakkuk, we too can ask God. Many a time, people do not wait for God to answer them. We need to wait on God “to see what he will say” to us (2:1). When God answered Habakkuk, he understood that whoever may come against God’s people, “the righteous person will live by his faithfulness” (Hab.2:4). It helped Habakkuk to sing, whatever happens to me, “yet I will rejoice in the Lord” (3:18). Our doubts and questions on God can help us understand him deeper and increase our faith. The question is, do we take our questions to God?

APPLICATION:  The Lord God is my God and my Holy One. He is the everlasting and righteous God. When injustice and violence, strifes, and conflict abound around me, instead of allowing my situations to disbelieve God, I will ask God all my questions, and he will answer me and clear all my doubts and fears. “The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights” (Hab.3:19). For, I live by faith, not by sight (2 Cor.5:7).

 
PRAYER: Holy God, thank you for love that enables me to come before you. Lord Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith, help me to be strong in my faith on all occasions, trusting your faithfulness. Holy Spirit, help me to overcome my weaknesses and strengthen me to overcome the world with faith. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day – 354

(Tamil version of this devotion is posted here)

No comments: