Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Praying in tough times

READ: Daniel 5,6; Psalms 149; 1 Peter 5

SCRIPTURE: Daniel 6: 10 Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before.

OBSERVATION: When everything goes well, we find it easier to do our regular works without any lack. However, it becomes challenging when a crisis comes. We know that when we do something regularly, it becomes a habit. Then it would be easy to do that particular thing anywhere and anytime. In Dan.6:10, we read about Daniel’s praying habit. As we read in Daniel 5: 29-30, Daniel was “the third highest ruler in the kingdom” of Babylonia. Every satrap knew that Daniel was a man of integrity and diligent in his works. They could find “no corruption in him” (v.4).  Bible experts say that Daniel was about 80 years at this time. If so, Daniel served in Babylon for almost 65 years. Here, the satraps tried to ensnare Daniel with the royal decree specifically aimed at him and remove him from his position. How will we behave if a particular law is enacted to trap and destroy us! We may try to hide ourselves or our activities to escape from being caught up. For Daniel, the new law made no changes in his godly and prayer life.

Daniel’s response to the enactment of the new law was, “he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem” and prayed.  Despite knowing the outcomes, he did nothing to hide his prayer life. Daniel had the habit of praying regularly on his knees three times a day. When Daniel prayed, he gave thanks to God. It is the secret of his prayer life. Many of us, when we pray, we always ask God our needs. Do we thank God for the crises we face in our lives? Praying Christians will always thank God for everything, for they believe in the sovereignty of God. Daniel’s enemies thought they were successful in their plan and hurried to execute it. Even King Darius could do nothing to save Daniel. Nevertheless the story does not end here.

God protected Daniel from the mouths of lions, and then King Darius issued an irrevocable decree to all the people under his rule that they “must fear and reverence the God of Daniel” (v.26). God changed the situation, and all the 120 satraps’s plans and their lives perished. Jim Eliot said, “God is still on His throne, we’re still His footstool, and there’s only a knee’s distance between!” Our Lord Jesus teaches that we “should always pray and not give up” (Luke 18:1). The Bible encourages us to “pray continually” (1 Thes.5:17). Our prayers are powerful and effective. When things become worst and hard to pray, we can still go to God in prayer and find hope in him.  “For he is the living God and he endures forever; his kingdom will not be destroyed, his dominion will never end” (Dan.6:26).

APPLICATION: I worship the God who answers my prayers. He knows my needs and my heart. The bible teaches me to pray to God even when I face difficult times. When I pray, I express my dependency on God and faith in him that everything is under his control. Sometimes I may not see immediate changes after praying, but it gives me the strength to face any situation and trust God for everything. Governments and rulers will come and go, “but the word of the Lord endures forever” (1 Pet.1:25). God never changes. Trusting God and his power, I can go to him in prayer and “give thanks in all circumstances.”

PRAYER: Abba Father, thank you for answering all my prayers. Jesus, help me to follow your example of prayer. Holy Spirit, thank you for your help in my weaknesses and interceding for me “through wordless groans.” My God, I submit my life in your hands, do as you please, according to your will. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day – 332

No comments: