Thursday, December 16, 2021

True love of the God of truth

READ: Amos 7-9; Proverbs 13; Revelation 3

SCRIPTURE: Revelation 3: 19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.
20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

OBSERVATION:  We generally express our love only to our friends and close relatives who respect us and show love, care, and affection. Sometimes, we may fail to notice their love if it is not expressed as we expect. Similarly, loving a person who has no love for us is challenging for many of us. Some may think that even God’s love is available only to those who love and obey him. But the bible says that the love of God is unconditional, limitless, and immeasurable. God loves all is an essential teaching of the bible. In the Gospel, we read that Jesus loved the wealthy man who thought he could earn eternal life by works. However, the man went away from Jesus “because he had great wealth”; it means that he was ready to do anything but obey God (Mark 10:17-23). True love corrects, disciplines, and is shown to all.

In the book of Revelation, the church of Laodicea is rich in worldly wealth but spiritually in poor condition. Jesus said no commending words about the church of Laodicea. The Laodicean believers depended on their wealth, not God, to fulfill their needs. So Jesus calls the Laodicea church to “be earnest and repent.” He did not ignore them. The worldly rich but spiritually blind Laodecian Church needed to hear who was speaking to them. Notice the long self-description of Jesus in verse 14. They have no place for him inside their church. But Jesus is standing at the door and knocks it with a promise. All they need to do is listen to Jesus and open the door to enjoy a fellowship with him. If they truly loved Jesus, they would have opened the door for his discipline and to be with him.

Jesus rebukes and disciplines every believer because he loves them. Job 5:17 says, “Blessed is the one whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.” God’s love disciplines us to save us from condemnation (Ps.94:12, Pro.3:11-12; 1 Cor.11:32). We should not ignore when God disciplines us. Our simple obedience to God and his words will bring us great blessings from the Lord.

APPLICATION: When God disciplines me, it shows that I am his son or daughter and I am very much loved by him (Heb.12:5-11). So, I must obey God. My wealth and self-sufficiency should not be a hindrance to my spiritual life and fellowship with God. Instead, I should use my talents and earthly wealth for godly purposes. Anyone who listens to Jesus and obeys him can enjoy his fellowship. My fellowship is with God. How blessed it is!

PRAYER: Loving God, thank you for your impartial love that cares and disciplines me to live as your child in this world. Jesus, I can do nothing without you. Lord, open my ears to listen to what the Spirit says to me. Holy Spirit, give me your wisdom and power to obey God when he disciplines me. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day – 346

 

No comments: