Tuesday, December 21, 2021

A safe place to stay

READ: Micah 3, 4; Proverbs 18; Revelation 8

SCRIPTURE: Proverbs 18: 10 The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.

OBSERVATION:  In ancient times, people who lived in fortified cities were safer than others from enemies’ attacks. Because castles were built with strong walls and storage places so that people could survive if enemies put a siege on them. Even today, when a disaster or natural calamity comes, people would run to safe places to protect themselves. People who are rich and poor, educated and uneducated, regardless of gender, social and economic differences, would seek shelter in a protected place. In Proverbs 18:10, we read that “The name of the Lord is a fortified tower.” The phrase “the name of the Lord” is used only in this verse in Proverbs. The name of the LORD refers to the LORD himself.

The name of the LORD reveals God’s nature and qualities. When Moses asked God’s name, God said, “I AM THAT I AM.” It is God's self-revealing name about his character, trustworthiness, and faithfulness (Exo.3:14,15). Creator God discloses His name to human beings to meet their needs and answer their questions. Knowing the name of the LORD helps us grow in our personal relationship with him. Our relationship with God is a continual and ever-growing relationship in which we know him better every day. The name of the Lord is as strong as the LORD. It is reliable at all times. In times of need, danger, and emergency, we can run to it. The quicker and faster we run to God, the swifter he acts on behalf of us. God welcomes and accepts all who come to him and rescues them. Some people seek God only when they have any problem or need beyond their capacity. We should seek and trust him ALWAYS. Sometimes, the storms, failures, problems, relationship issues, sicknesses, and disasters remind us of the need to have God in our lives.  Psalm 20:7­-8 reminds us that those who trust God will never fail, but they always “rise up and stand firm.” Do we run away from God or run towards God? Let us examine ourselves: How do we run to the name of the Lord? Let us dwell “in the shelter of the Most High.” “Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly” (Col.3:16). “If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent” (Ps.91:9,10)

APPLICATION: As David sings, “I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” The name of the LORD reminds me who my God is. I worry for nothing because of Who He is and what He is. The great “I AM” lives in me. Jesus gives me all that I need. In Christ, I am a new creation. “The old has gone, the new is here!” I must remain in Christ. I should always read, believe, and obey His Word. The more often I run to him, the more I will become like him.

 
PRAYER: Father God, thank you for being my rock which I can always go. Jesus, thank you for your grace that abounds in my weaknesses. Holy Spirit, help me remember the name of the Lord and run to it and be safe always. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day – 351

(Tamil version of this devotion is posted here) 

No comments: