Monday, December 20, 2021

Good medicine for our hearts

READ: Micah 1, 2; Proverbs 17; Revelation 7

SCRIPTURE:  Proverbs 17:22 A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

OBSERVATION:  Nowadays, we often hear about the sudden demise of active and strong people. Doctors say that many of them die due to heart-related diseases. Medical journals say that almost 25% of mortality is caused by cardiovascular diseases. Along with prescriptions, many doctors say, "be happy, worry for nothing." The bible says, “A cheerful heart is good medicine.” In Proverbs, we see many such verses that tell us the significance of keeping our hearts peaceful and cheerful (Pro.14:30; 15:13,30; 16:15). People may say, "I want to be happy, but how is it possible while I have many problems." We must know that our happiness is not the result of what we have; it is our choice to be happy, regardless of anything. We Christians have every reason to choose to be happy all the time.

In Philippians 4:4, apostle Paul says, “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” In 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, we read that rejoicing always is God’s will for us in Christ Jesus. Our joy is not depending on our circumstances. It comes from the Lord. Prophet Habakkuk, when prophecized about the impending Babylonian invasion, he says whatever happens to me, “yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior” (Hab.3:17,18). Even during trials and sufferings, we are called to be happy (James. 1:2; 1 Peter 4:13). We can tell that the joy of the Lord is our strength. For our Lord Jesus says, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” (John 14:27). We should not allow any sin, lust, and worldly desires to ruin our joy in the Lord. There are many things in the world that can crush our spirits. But our Lord Jesus binds up the brokenhearted and gives freedom for the captives (Is.61:1; Luke 4:18). The joy that the Lord gives us is everlasting joy. As Pro.15:15 says, “the cheerful heart has a continual feast.” It is our choice to be happy in the Lord Jesus Christ. Let us remember that “the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit” (Rom.14:17).

APPLICATION:  Lord Jesus gives me the joy that no one can give. He gives it freely for all who are thirsty and come to him. I need to remain in him to receive his strength to face any situation. Instead of finding joy in my life situations, I should seek the Lord with all my heart to be filled with his joy, the joy of his presence. The Sovereign Lord is my strength and the source of my joy. He gives me the joy of his salvation.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for the eternal joy you give me. Jesus, thank you for the joy of your salvation that none can take away from my heart. Holy Spirit, help me to remain in Christ and give me your strength to be happy all the time. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day – 350

(Tamil version of this devotion is posted here)

No comments: