Monday, October 11, 2021

A letter of Joy

READ: Jeremiah 11,12; Psalms 101; Philippians 4

SCRIPTURE: Philippians 4: 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

OBSERVATION: When everything goes well, we are happy. However, we become sad when we have failures, relationship issues, rejection, and face undesirable things. Mostly, our happiness is related to the external factors of our lives. “Joy” is a significant theme in Paul’s epistle to Phillippians; Paul used the Greek word for Joy and rejoicing 15 times in this small book. Paul writes about joy throughout the book of Philippians. So, no wonder that this epistle is called a letter of joy. It does not mean that Paul was in a comfortable place where he received everything he wanted. Just in the preceding verses, Paul mentions the disagreement between the two saints. When we read the book of Philippians, we can understand that Paul rejoiced and experienced joy regardless of his circumstances. As we all know, he wrote to Philippians from prison; he had enemies everywhere; he endured trials and afflictions. But none of them could stop him from rejoicing.

We may ask ourselves how shall we rejoice in all situations. We know that if our joy depends on our situations, we cannot always rejoice. Paul writes, “Rejoice in the Lord.” Regardless of our life situations, the Bible calls us to rejoice in the Lord, “for the joy of the Lord is your strength” (Neh.8:10). Nothing can separate us from the joy that Jesus gives us. There is joy and eternal pleasures in the presence of the Lord (Ps.16:11). Habakkuk (3:17-18) sings, “Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.” We can rejoice in the Lord at all times.  Jesus taught us, and the Apostles experienced the joy unspeakable in their sufferings and trials. Christ is the source of our joy. In Gal.5:22-23, we read that joy is listed among the fruit of the Spirit; there is no law against it. The joy of the Lord never changes depending on any external factors. It comes from within. Whatever our life situations may be, we can rejoice in the Lord always. As Paul says, “I will say it again: Rejoice!”

APPLICATION: When I believe in Jesus, I am “filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy” (1 Pet.1:8). I rejoice in the Lord always. No man can take it away from me. As I walk by the Spirit, I see the fruit of the Spirit in my life. Rejoicing in the Lord is the best medicine for my heart to overcome life’s challenges and live for the Lord.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for the glorious joy of your presence. Jesus, thank you for the hope you give me that I can rejoice always. Holy Spirit, fill my heart to rejoice in the Lord always. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 283

No comments: