Friday, October 29, 2021

It is better to trust the Lord

READ: Jeremiah 45,46; Psalms 118; 1 Timothy 5

SCRIPTURE:  Psalms 118: 8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in humans.

OBSERVATION:  People say, “a friend in need is a friend indeed.” However, when a person seeks help or is in dire need, what do we see? In Psalm 118, the psalmist speaks from his personal experience of seeking God’s help. He learned, “It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in humans.” Psalm 118 is a praise and thanksgiving song for the deliverance from enemies. Many consider Psalm 118:8 as the central or middle verse of the Bible. Interestingly, Psalm 118 comes between the shortest chapter (Ps.117) and the longest chapter (Ps.119) of the bible. The Bible teaches us to trust God and seek his help always.

We may ask why it is better to seek God’s help than trust any human’s help. We all know human resources are limited, but God is all-powerful, and all things are possible for him. Human love is weak and often selfish in nature. But God offers his unconditional love. As the psalmist sings, “His love endures forever.” There are times even people who want to help cannot help us. The bible says, “he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep” (Ps.121:4). We can call for God’s help anytime and from anywhere. Ps.145:18 says, “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” Jesus promised us, “surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age (Mt.28:20). God has given us his Holy Spirit, who helps us and be with us forever (Jn.14:16). All days are good days to seek God and his help. We do not need to wait to ask God to help us. Psalm 118 invites us to seek God TODAY and rejoice in him EVERY DAY. Ps.32:10 reminds us that “the Lord’s unfailing love surrounds the one who trusts in him.” We all can say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust” (Ps.91:2).

APPLICATION:  I should not put my hope and trust in any humans. I thank God for the good and kind friends, relatives, and family members who are concerned about me. Of course, God sends his help through humans. But my eyes should be on God, not on humans whom God uses. At times, humans may fail to help us; God never fails. “But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge” (Ps.73:28).

PRAYER: Loving God,  thank you for faithfully answering my every prayer. Lord, help me to trust you always and live for you. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 300

No comments: