Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Live just as Jesus did

 READ: Jeremiah 1,2; Psalms 96; Ephesians 5

SCRIPTURE: Ephesians 5: 1 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children
2 and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

OBSERVATION: Many people are fascinated to read and follow the life of Jesus Christ. Jesus’s life challenges people even now as it was in the first century. So far, hundreds of books have been written on the subject of following Jesus. Thomas à Kempis’s Imitation of Christ is a well-known and widely read book across the globe. Kempis endorses ascetic life to follow Jesus. Likewise, different authors write their books on following Jesus with a particular view and espouse it. But Paul encourages the Ephesian believers to be imitators of Jesus. Paul himself was ardent to follow the example of Jesus (1 Cor.11:1). Early apostles emphasized that Christians should follow the example of Jesus (1 Peter 2:21; 1 Jn.2:6). After washing the feet of his disciples, Jesus said, “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you” (Jn.13:14-15). The Gospel book gives us a comprehensive understanding of Jesus to follow him diligently.

Some may ask, does living like Jesus mean that we must do everything he did? Is it be possible for us? First, we must know that Christ will never ask us to do something beyond our ability. Secondly, considering the context of this verse (Eph.4:32; 5:1-2), we know that Paul speaks about loving one another, “forgiving each other,” and “living a life of love.” We all have our own understanding and limitations concerning loving and forgiving others. Here, the verse calls us to love and forgive “just as Christ” loved and forgave us. Like the dearly loved children try to follow and imitate their parents, we are to imitate the example of Jesus. The first step in following Christ is to deny ourselves (Mt.8:34; Lk.22:34). In Greek, “Be imitators of God” comes in present imperative, which means it is a command for us to follow daily and continually in our lives. When we imitate Jesus, our life will be “a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”

APPLICATION: I am called to live for Jesus. I must love and forgive others just as Christ loved me. I cannot do this in my strength. I can do nothing without Christ. As I remain in Christ, I believe in the power of the Holy Spirit, who helps me to follow the example of God. Living like Jesus is not a burden but makes my life heaven to me and others.

PRAYER: My God, thank you for your exemplary love and forgiveness. Jesus, thank you for your sacrificial life that helps me understand God’s love. Holy Spirit, give me your power to imitate God in all areas of my life. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 278

No comments: