Tuesday, October 19, 2021

A Soldier’s prayer

READ: Jeremiah 25,26; Psalms 108; 1 Thessalonians 3

SCRIPTURE:  Psalms 108: 12 Give us aid against the enemy, for human help is worthless.
13 With God we will gain the victory, and he will trample down our enemies.

OBSERVATION: Throughout history, we read inspiring stories about small armies that defeated larger armies. Army strength alone would not be sufficient to get victories in battles. Psalm 33:16-17 says, “No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his great strength. A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save.” From the beginning of his life as a soldier, David believed that the Lord gives victories to his people (1 Sam.17:45-48). The prayer that we see in Psalm 108, David might have prayed after his recent defeats against his enemies. The first five verses of Ps.108 are parallel to Ps.57:7-11, with a mild variation. Verses 5-13 are similar to Ps.60:5-12. This repetition and joining of two psalms to make a new psalm convey that God has a purpose for this arrangement. As we see here in v.12, we need God’s help to win the enemy. “Human help is worthless.”

Whether we like it or not, we Christians are in a spiritual battle. “Our struggle is not against flesh and blood” (Eph. 6:12). As a soldier of God, we should wear the armor of God as mentioned in Ephesians 6:10-17, to stand against the devil’s schemes. However, our victory comes from the Lord. In Psalm 44:6-7, David sings, “I put no trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies.” We need to put our trust in God and his word. Our trust in worldly strength is a vain hope, but God gives us real hope. When God helps us, we gain victories. The Lord God himself fights for us. We can ask for God’s help at any time. All things are possible with God.

APPLICATION:  “Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle” (Ps.144:1). My Lord Jesus says, “What is impossible with man is possible with God” (Luke 18:27). He says, “apart from me you can do nothing” (Jn.15:5). Jesus has already overcome the world for me.   I must remain in Christ and seek his help always. I will celebrate the victory of the Lord. He has done mighty things for me.

PRAYER:  Father God, you are my “strength and refuge, an ever-present help in trouble” (Ps.46:1). Lord, give me the wisdom to call on you in the day of trouble. Jesus, thank you for the cross; thank you for the victories you have prepared for me. My God, help me to trust and seek your help always. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 290

No comments: