Saturday, October 23, 2021

Light in the darkness

READ: Jeremiah 33,34; Psalms 112; 2 Thessalonians 2

SCRIPTURE:  Psalms 112: 4. Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for those who are gracious and compassionate and righteous.

OBSERVATION:  Being an upright person is very challenging nowadays. Worldly people ridicule honest persons as those who do not know how to survive. Many people misunderstand that “live in harmony with the world” means we should compromise our integrity according to the places we live. Psalm 112 gives us a picture of the blessedness of a man who fears the Lord and is upright. Psalm 112 is considered as a sequel to Psalm111, and its content is closely related to Psalm111. Both the last verse of Psalm 111 and the first verse of Psalm 112 speak about fearing the Lord. It signifies that the fear of the Lord is not only the beginning of wisdom but essential for integrity also.

Proverbs 10:6 says, “Blessings crown the head of the righteous.” Of all the blessings mentioned in Psalm 112, verse 4 draws our attention today. The word “darkness” refers to the times of disease, troubles, calamities, and sufferings in life. Verse 4 tells us that the upright people may go through a period of darkness in their life. However, light dawns for them; they will not be abandoned in the darkness. Ps.97:11 says, “Light shines (is sown) on the righteous and joy on the upright in heart.” The Lord God himself will be the light for his people (Is.60:20).  God-fearing upright people will not continue to live in darkness. Their light will rise in the darkness (Is.58:8-10). Receiving the light from God makes an upright person have God’s characteristics (Compare Ps.111:4 and 112:4). As the bible says, “Whoever walks in integrity walks securely” (Pro.10:9). Therefore, “Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun” (Psalm 37:5-6).

APPLICATION: “Even though I walk through the darkest valley (Or the valley of the shadow of death), I will fear no evil” (Ps.23:4), for God is with me. “The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?” (Ps.27:1). God’s word is “a lamp for my feet, a light on my path” (Ps.119:105).   

PRAYER:  Father God, thank you for your light that helps me walk in your way, even in darkness. Lord, give me your strength to be upright always. Holy Spirit, remind me of God’s word and help me to live accordingly. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 294

No comments: