Sunday, October 24, 2021

You raise me up

READ: Jeremiah 35,36; Psalms 113; 2 Thessalonians 3

SCRIPTURE:  Psalms 113: 7 He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy  from the ash heap;
8 he seats them with princes, with the princes of his people.

OBSERVATION:  When we pray before our meals, we usually thank God for the food before us, and at times we ask God to feed the poor and the needy ones. What more can we do in our mealtime prayers since people expect the prayer should be short. Psalm 113 is the first of “Hallel (Praise) Psalms,” sung before the Passover meal. Psalm 113 reminds the prayer of Hannah (1 Sam.2:1-15) and the song of Mary (Luke 1:46-55). The psalmist sings not only the greatness of God but also what God does in people’s lives. God, who sits on the heavenly throne, is concerned about people in need and sees them.

In Ps.113, “The poor” and “the needy” refer to those who do not have enough resources to meet their needs and deliverance. So they are dependent on God. The words “dust” and “ash heap” denote a person’s humble, despicable, and miserable condition. The Bible teaches a lot about our obligation towards the poor and the needy. Here, we see what God does to them. God raises and lifts the poor. God delivers them and makes them sit with “princes, with the princes of his people.” He gives them a crown of beauty instead of ashes. God’s deliverance gives them dignity as compared to their former state. God actively participates in liberating the poor and the needy. In Luke 7:22, Jesus asked John’s disciples to tell John about the miracles and works of the Messiah in the lives of the poor and needy. Through Christ, God works even today. In Christ, we receive our salvation. Not only that, as Paul writes to Ephesians, “God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus” (Eph.2:6). We are more than conquerors through Jesus who loves us.

APPLICATION:  There is no one like my God, “the One who sits enthroned on high.” He sees me.  “He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand” (Ps. 40:2). Jesus is my rock and my salvation. God has blessed me in the “heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ” (Eph.1:3). I will count my every blessing and praise God forever.

PRAYER Father God, thank you for your love and concerns for me. Lord, thank you for intervening in my life and lifting me up for your glory. Loving God,I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.” Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 295

No comments: