Tuesday, May 11, 2021

A cry from the depths

READ: 1 Samuel 27,28; Psalm 130; Luke 22:1-34

SCRIPTURE:  Psalm 130: 3 If you, Lord, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand?
4 But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you.
5 I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.

OBSERVATION:  In Psalm 130, the psalmist cries out to God from his present overwhelming crisis. It appears that he is surrounded by ”a sea of troubles” and has no solid ground to stand. He doesn't mention what caused this distressing situation.  His sickness, the uncertainties of his life or an attack from his enemies may have led him to think that he is in deep waters. In his hopeless situation, he prays to God. He realizes that nobody could stand before God without getting his forgiveness. When a person seeks God's forgiveness with a realization that all his righteous acts are like filthy rags and no one could stand before God if he keeps an account of one's iniquities, God listens to such prayers. First, the psalmist pleads God for his forgiveness. God's forgiveness gives us a reverential fear to serve him faithfully. The psalmist knows that God alone can deliver him from his miserable environment. So, he expresses his whole-hearted determination to wait for the Lord. He puts his hope in God's word. God's word gives us the strength to stand against the storms of our life and offers a light of hope. Let us remember, "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see" (Heb.11:1). Instead of looking at our present problems, with faith we can look beyond to know what God has for us. It is good to wait for the Lord. After all, waiting on God is not a waste of time. 

APPLICATION: God is my rock to stand when my life situations offer no hope for the future. Regardless of my situation, when I humble myself before God and seek his help, he offers his forgiveness and the hope of redemption.  When I put my hope in God's word, all of a sudden the same place where I struggled to stand becomes a solid ground. "On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; All other ground is sinking sand."

PRAYER: Father, thank you listening my prayers that I make from the depths of my heart. When I come to you, Lord you accept me with your everlasting, unfailing love. I am a sinner unworthy of your forgiveness. Thank you for your grace. I praise you for your salvation.  Lord, help me ever to serve you with reverential fear. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: