Sunday, May 23, 2021

Deliverance from deadly dangers

READ: 2 Samuel 21, 22; Psalm 142;  John 4: 1 - 26

SCRIPTURE:  2 Samuel 22: 4 “I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and have been saved from my enemies.
5 The waves of death swirled about me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
6 The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me.
7 “In my distress I called to the Lord; I called out to my God. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came to his ears.

OBSERVATION: 2 Samuel 22:1 tells us of the time when David sang this thanksgiving song that we see in the Chapter. He must have written this song after the victories that we see in 2 Samuel 8 and before his sins in the matter of Bathsheba and Uriah (2 Sam.11). 2 Samuel 22 is identical with Psalm 18 with some minor variations. The psalms of David say that he praised God both during the struggles he faced and after the Lord rescued him. 

The phrases “the waves of death”, “the torrents of destruction”, “the cords of the grave”, and “the snares of death” explain to us how dreadful his experience was. He would have felt that God gave him miraculous victories and deliverance. David's  secret for his successes was he called out to the Lord during the times of his distress. When a person is constricted by the power of the waves of death, even to say a word could be difficult. When a person is drowning and gasping, and  when he is near to death, could he call upon the Lord? When David called to the Lord during such situations, God heard his voice. God is attentive to such prayers. “Waves of death” may come among us in different ways or forms. How uncertain and hopeless our situation may be, when we pray to God, we can expect a miracle, a deliverance, and a healing. 

APPLICATION: God is near to me, and he hears my prayers.  I can pray to him in any situation, anytime and from anywhere. The devil wants me to believe that I cannot pray to God when I am in distress. He often reminds me of my failures, inabilities, and weaknesses to discourage me from praying. The devil may use different persons to tell me his plans, whoever it may be, I will not pay my attention to it. But I will listen to the word of God that says “What is impossible with man is possible with God.” When I am surrounded by life-threatening issues, and when I am worried and in distress, I will pray to God. Even when there is no hope for me, God is my hope. I will trust him and will not hesitate to cry out to him in my distress. He is worthy of my praise.   

PRAYER: Father God, you are my savior. Lord, you are my rock whom I can come always. Thank you God for listening to all my prayers. My God, help me to come to you not just in times of need, but always. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel +91 9538328573

No comments: