Sunday, May 16, 2021

Peace be with you

READ:  2 Samuel 7, 8; Psalm 135 ; Luke 24: 28-53

SCRIPTURE: Luke 24:36 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”


OBSERVATION: Here we see that Jesus’ disciples were talking about the resurrection of Jesus, behind the closed doors as they feared of Jewish officials. After the crucifixion, since his disciples did not understand Jesus’ prediction about his suffering and resurrection, they would have experienced sorrow about the death of their Lord, fears about rulers, and worries about their future. In brief, they were in the midst of uncertainties. Mark 16:12-13 says, when the two disciples who went to Emmaus hurriedly returned to Jerusalem to report their experience of seeing the risen Lord, the other disciples did not believe their words. However, from the early morning of the resurrection day, these fear-filled disciples started to hear and to experience Jesus’ appearance. Every time Jesus appeared to his disciples, they expressed mixed feelings of joy and fear. But Jesus greeted them “Peace be with you”  and helped them to alleviate all their fears and doubts about himself. Jesus reminded them of his words, opened their minds to understand it. And he asked them to stay in prayer until they receive the Holy Spirit. We know what happened afterwards. When we go through uncertain times, and face fear and worries of life, Jesus is willing to give us his peace and promise. Are we ready to receive it?

APPLICATION: If I have any doubts about Jesus, worries and fears about my future, I should know that I cannot solve it just by hiding myself from others. Rather, when I seek Jesus and when I pray to God in secret, God protects my heart and mind “in Christ Jesus”  by giving me the peace that transcends all understanding. I prefer to get the peace of God. I serve the God of peace who crushes Satan and his evil schemes under my feet.

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for giving me your peace even when I face distressing situations in my life. Help me to understand your word and your loving heart. Open my eyes to see the truths in the bible.  Lord, strengthen my faith to be strong in you. Help me to experience your peace everyday. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: