Tuesday, May 18, 2021

A turning point in David's life

READ:  2 Samuel 11, 12; Psalm 137 ; John 1: 29-51

SCRIPTURE:  2 Samuel 11: 1 In the spring, at the time when kings go off to war, David sent Joab out with the king’s men and the whole Israelite army. They destroyed the Ammonites and besieged Rabbah. But David remained in Jerusalem.

OBSERVATION: David supposed to be at the battle-front to lead the war. But, he chose to stay behind in his palace and sent Joab and the Israelite army to fight against the enemies of Israel. This doesn’t mean David was too old to fight. At that time, he could be about 50 years old. The previous war we read in 1 Samuel 10 suggests that Israelites saw a great victory only after David came to the battlefield to lead the war. It was a spring season, so David would have wanted to take more rest during the pleasant weather. David must have known Bathsheba right from her childhood, as her father  Eliam was one of David’s bodyguards and her grandfather Ahithophel was David’s friend and his counselor. 

When David remained in Jerusalem and was enjoying the cool air of the spring season, his “lust of the flesh” tempted him to sin against the Lord. Here we see how David’s neglection of his royal duty led to a series of offenses which is inappropriate for a theocratic king. David’s sin with Bathsheba and the way he tried to cover up his sin made an indelible blot in the story of David who was considered as "a man after God's own heart." Until then David was fighting against the enemies of the Lord and his people. Bathsheba’s incident was a turning point in David’s life. Afterwards, he had to face the fights from within his family till his death. Above all, David’s sin displeased the Lord. See, how David's one sin overshadows all the great deeds he did for the Lord! His one sin led to the death of many people and caused a never ending crisis for David.  Because David allowed sexual lust to remain in his heart, it led him to sin when it got an opportunity.

APPLICATION: I should remember that “A man reaps what he sows” (Gal.6:7).  As a child of God, I must “Flee the evil desires of youth” (2 Tim.2:22). I should not remain in a place that tempts me to sin against the Lord. Moreover, I should not neglect my responsibility in serving the Lord. Whatever I do, “whether in word or deed”,  I must do it for the Lord (Col.3:17), not to please my lustful desires.  The real turning point in my life starts when I obey God’s word to stand against the evil desires of my heart. 


PRAYER: Father, your word teaches me where I should remain and when I should flee. Help me to remain in you and in your word. Jesus, I believe that you are “able to help those who are being tempted.” Help me to resist all temptations of sins and to stand firm in the faith. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel +91 9538328573

No comments: