Thursday, May 20, 2021

A prayer of self-examination

READ: 2 Samuel 15, 16; Psalm 139; John 2:13-25

SCRIPTURE:  Psalm 139: 23 Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

OBSERVATION: In Psalm 139, David expresses his understanding of who God is, and how God is involved  in his life. While he says of the all-knowing and omnipresent God, he understands that God knows him, sees him as well. He cannot hide himself from God. Further, David realizes that God’s thoughts of him are precious and uncountable. With this in mind, David begins his self-introspection in the similar way he starts this psalm, “search me.” Here, David says of his willingness to submit himself to God’s examination. For he knew that God’s searching and testing would benefit him. Like a furnace purifies gold, when God tests a person he removes  ungodly things from the person, if any. The psalmist wants that in him there should not be any offensive way against God. Anything that displeases and grieves God, anything that separates us from God, and anything that is not in accordance with his word could lead us in an offensive way.  David understood that the only medicine for this is to walk with the Lord in the way of eternity. So he prays for God’s guidance. 

God knows and sees each of us. We can hide nothing from him. He knows what is in our heart. God’s thoughts of us are precious and vast. He says, “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts” (Is.55:9). If so, would it not be better for us to seek God and his ways than living in our own ways? 

APPLICATION: My God knows me, He sees me. He is concerned about me. Living under this loving God’s care is precious indeed. Nothing can separate me from God. He cares for me and I should live for him. He purifies me and guides me in his path that leads to eternity. As long as I walk with God, I fear nothing.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your love and care for me. “Search me” and “test me” to know what is in my heart. “Lead me” to live a god-pleasing life. Help me to know you more and to walk in your everlasting way. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel +91 9538328573


No comments: