Thursday, May 6, 2021

The Battle is the Lord's

READ: 1 Samuel 17, 18; Psalm 125; Luke 19: 28-48

SCRIPTURE: 1 Samuel 17: 45 David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.
 46 This day the Lord will deliver you into my hands... and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel.
47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.”

OBSERVATION: When Goliath challenged Saul and the Israelite army for a single combat, they all were so afraid of his gigantic size and the weight of his armor. Goliath was a nine feet tall warrior who was fully covered with bronze armor that weighed about 58 kg. Among the Israelites, Saul was the tallest person (1 Sam.9:2). However, when the Philistine came, instead of going against him to fight, Saul also "dismayed and terrified" of Goliath. Here, we see a fear-driven army and their king.

However, when the teenage boy David came to the battleground and heard Goliath's abuses against his God and the Israelites, he became determined what to do (1 Sam.17: 26, 27, 30). Saul was reluctant to send an amateur warrior against the professional warrior. David wanted to go with the Lord's strength, not in the strength of Saul's armor. He boldly proclaimed to Goliath that he came in the name of the Lord, not with any weapons. David defeated the Philistine just with a sling and a smooth stone. How was it possible to David to kill a giant fully covered with strong armors? Obviously, others (including Saul) were looking at the big size of Goliath and his weapons. But David saw how big and mighty his God was! He turned the single combat to the Lord's battle. The Lord of hosts did the rest; God helped David to kill the hero of the Philistines. When we face big Goliath-like problems, all we need to do is to go against them with the strength of the Lord.  We do not need to worry about our inabilities and weaknesses. God can help us even today. For he never changes! He is alive! He is able!

APPLICATION: When I face mountain-like problems, I need to remember that the same God who helped David can help me as well. Sadly, many Christians do not consider God as their strength in their time of trials and struggles. When I go out in the name of the Lord, I am protected and enabled to attack the evil forces as well. My present problems are not bigger than my God. I will sing like David, " With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall" (Ps.18:29). God is my strength. I put my trust in him.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you that you still fight for us and win battles for your people. My present situations and problems may appear big  in my sight. However, they are not too bigger for you to deal with it. Lord, I put my trust in your strength and leave it in your hands. In your name, I will win all my struggles. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: