Thursday, May 27, 2021

Jesus the bread of life

READ:  1 Kings 5, 6 ; Psalm 146 ; John 6: 1-40

SCRIPTURE: John 6: 33 For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” 34 “Sir,” they said, “always give us this bread.” 35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.

OBSERVATION: We know that water and food are basic needs for our daily life. After the miracle of feeding five thousand men, people were searching for Jesus. Like the Samaritan woman who misunderstood Jesus’ reference to living water (Jn.4:15), the people we see here also were not able to understand what Jesus was talking with them. See the similarity in the plea of the Samaritan woman and the people. Because they were thinking in a materialistic way, and failed to see the spiritual meaning of Jesus’ words. Interestingly, on both occasions Jesus spoke about eternal life. 

Here in verse 35, we see the first of “I am” sayings of Jesus. Jesus’ usage of  “I am” is strikingly similar to the name of God  that he revealed to Moses (see. Exo.3:14). Jesus self-identification in the “I am” statements help us to understand who Jesus is. All who are spiritually hungry and thirsty will find satisfaction when they come to Jesus and believe in him. The eternal life that Jesus gives is something that we receive as a free gift when we come to Christ. It is something that we receive by believing in Jesus Christ. Like water and food to our physical life, Jesus is essential to our healthy spiritual life. 

APPLICATION:  My eyes are not on material gains. When Moses was admonishing the Israelites, he told them that the Lord gave Manna in order to teach them, “man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord” (Deut. 8:3). Those who ate manna became hungry again and died. But Jesus is “the bread of life.” He satisfies my soul when I go to him. When I believe who Jesus is to me, he quenches my spiritual thirst.  Above all, he gives me eternal life. This spiritual satisfaction in Jesus will be an unending experience till eternity. 

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for being my Lord and savior. Lord, open my eyes to see who you are. Open my heart to believe you as the bread of life. Jesus the bread of life, I need you everyday. Help me to seek you with all my heart. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel +91 9538328573


No comments: