Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Think before you act

READ: 1 Samuel 13, 14; Psalm 123; Luke 18:18-43

SCRIPTURE: 1 Samuel 13:  11 “What have you done?” asked Samuel. Saul replied, “When I saw that the men were scattering, and that you did not come at the set time, and that the Philistines were assembling at Mikmash,
12 I thought, ‘Now the Philistines will come down against me at Gilgal, and I have not sought the Lord’s favor.’ So I felt compelled to offer the burnt offering.”

OBSERVATION: Soon after Saul became the King of Israelites, he became more self-centric and started to act upon his own insights rather than depending upon God and his word. Before Samuel anointed him as a king, Saul  was humble and shy (1 Sam. 9:21, 10:22). Here in chapter 13 & 14, we see a different Saul who failed to keep up the expectation of a theocratic king. The situation then was dreadful for the Israelites. Even the 2000 men army that stayed with Saul "were quaking with fear." Apparently, Philistines were powerful and mighty as compared to the weaponless army of Israelites (1 Sam.13:22). When the situation worsened, he was not ready to wait for Samuel to offer burnt offering and fellowship offerings, which supposed to by done only by the priests. 

Although Samuel clearly told him that "you must wait seven days until I come to you and tell you what you are to do" (1 Sam.10:8), Saul worried about the departure of his army men (2000 men became 600), and wanted to take things in his hands without seeking God's favor. Many people may justify Saul's action during such a time of crisis. Saul may had thought that if he did not do something then the whole Israelites could be defeated by the Philistines. When Samuel came to Saul, he rebuked Saul twice that "you have not kept Lord's command" (1 Sam.13: 12, 15). Saul forgot that Israelite's strength was not in the might of their army, but in God. When God sent a panic among the Philistines, they killed each other (1 Sam.14:15, 20). However, Saul who did not learn anything when Samuel confronted him, again he hastily stopped the priest Ahijah and went to the battle to collect the plunders from the Philistines who fled away in fear (1 Sam 14:19, 20). His disobedience to the word of God brought troubles to him, his kingship, and to his country.

APPLICATION: Saul's life is a warning that I must depend on God and should honor his word even when I go through tough times that require quick actions. Outwardly, it may appear to be unwise. However, when I have a sure word from the Lord, I must wait on God. I should not think that If I do nothing I may lose everything. God is sovereign over everything. My strength is in him, not in the resources I have. My difficult and testing times are opportunities to show my commitment to the Lord and his word. My wrong action or disobedience could affect even the people who are with me. So, I will think and act according to the word of God, not according to the compulsions of my life.

PRAYER: Father God, I can trust you even when I am in the midst of hopeless situations. When I depend on you, and when I honor your words in my life, you always fulfill your words and deliver me from my troubles. Lord, help me to live with an attitude that you must become greater; and I should become less. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

No comments: