Thursday, July 22, 2021

An exhortation to remain in Christ

READ: Ezra 5,6; Psalms 20; Acts 14:19-28

SCRIPTURE: Acts 14: 21 They preached the gospel in that city and won a large number of disciples. Then they returned to Lystra, Iconium and Antioch,
22 strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. “We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,” they said.

OBSERVATION: Despite oppositions in the first missionary journey, Paul and Barnaba saw many people coming to the Lord. In the city where people stoned Paul and left him for dead, God gave them “a large number of disciples.” After seeing such big numbers, Paul and Barnaba did not stay there. Instead, they returned to other cities where they recently established churches to strengthen and encourage the disciples “to remain true to the faith.” They did not speak about the worldly blessings of being Jesus’ disciples. But they reminded them to count the cost of following Jesus Christ. The new disciples needed to know about the possible dangers and sufferings of living as faithful Christians. Paul and Barnaba were able to tell them from their sufferings. Whether we live in a friendly Christian environment or an unfavorable non-Christian context, we may face suffering when we want to be truthful to our call and faith in Jesus Christ. Carrying the cross to follow Jesus Christ is something that every disciple must do in their life. The hardship may vary from person to person, but it is part of a faithful Christian life. Remembering the sufferings of his first ministry journey, Paul wrote to Timothy, “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted” (2 Tim.3:12). However, we need not be discouraged about our sufferings. Jesus Christ already told us, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (Jn.16:33). Our faithful Christian life brings glory to God and spreads the aroma of the knowledge of Christ everywhere. Let us remember: “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all” (2 Cor.4:17).

APPLICATION:  Christian life is a life with Christ. As a follower of Christ, I do not belong to the world. Therefore, I should not conform to the pattern of the world. I must remain faithful to Jesus Christ in everything. If I endure sufferings for Christ, I will also reign with him. No trial and tribulation can separate me from the Love of God. If I suffer as a Christian, I need not be ashamed of it. Instead, I can praise God for the opportunity to testify my faith in Jesus Christ.

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for strengthening and encouraging me to remain faithful to you. Lord, help me seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness in everything and every day. Holy Spirit, strengthen me to remain faithful to God even when I go through sufferings for Christ’s sake.  Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 202

No comments: