Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Who can show us any good?

READ: 2 Chronicles 9, 10; Psalms 4; Acts 5:22-42

SCRIPTURE: Psalms 4: 6 Many are asking, “Who can show us any good?” Let the light of your face shine on us, O Lord.
7 You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound.
8 I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

OBSERVATION: In the changing world, as many say, "only uncertainty is certain." Human life, in general, is filled with so many questions of tomorrow or the future. People become weary of constant struggles and unending problems. The unpredictable nature of life increases the innate fear of individuals and robs them of peace and joy. David wrote many psalms when he was in the midst of difficult and painful situations in which he faced the threats of his enemies and life's hard questions. Psalm 4 must have been written during one of such difficult times in David's life. When David faced life's difficult questions, he said, "Let the light of your face shine on us, O Lord"—A reminder of the priestly blessing (Num.6: 25,26). Instead of expressing his worldly fears, worries, and insecurity, David articulated his confidence in the Lord. The problems in David's life were real. Certainly, many would have questioned his leadership and future. Even his family members and friends were against him. However, none of them could stop the joy, abundance, peace, and security he experienced in the Lord. Many Psalms witness all the good things and every blessing that David received from the Lord —God's goodness, favor, honor, protection, blessings of harvest, strength, and all good things (Ps.34:10, 84:11; 85:12; 103:5; 107:9). Besides these blessings, what more a person needs in his/her life!  When we walk with God, believe in Jesus, and trust that he is everything, we may face uncertainties, fears, and daunting questions. But God fills our hearts with joy and peace that no man could ever understand. In God, we have peace and safety. Nothing and no one can stop our peaceful night's sleep; God alone can give such peace and protection.

APPLICATION: The Bible says, “The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing” (Ps.34:10). My God shows/bestows me every good thing that he foreordained for me. Even when I walk through the valley of weeping and sorrows, I can experience God’s peace within me. My external affairs do not/cannot affect my internal joy, peace, and security in the Lord. I seek God so that his face may shine on me in every situation.

PRAYER:  My God, you are good, and your love endures forever. I can always trust you, in any situation. Thank you for the greater joy, inner peace, and the perfect protection you give me every day. My life in you is secured with your blessings. My problems and difficulties are not permanent. But “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” Jesus, help me to experience your peace every day. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel

+91 9538328573

Day - 186

No comments: