Thursday, July 29, 2021

One thing you want to ask the Lord

READ: Nehemia 9,10; Psalms 27; Acts 20

SCRIPTURE: Psalms 27: One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.

OBSERVATION: Our life needs are dynamic and keep on changing every day. Something that we deem as precious today may become a nuisance tomorrow. Many things we craved to have in our life may become undesirable once we received or achieved them. So we may not be able to give a precise answer concerning the one thing we want to ask the Lord. Our responses vary depending on our life circumstances. But David, in Psalm 27, confidently expresses the one thing he wants to ask the Lord. We do not know when David wrote Psalm 27. Verses 2, 3, 10, and 12 alludes to some of the challenges David went through in his life. Regardless of the places, whether in the palace or the wilderness, we can be sure that David would ask the same thing from the Lord. His life testifies that he sought nothing else other than God (1 Sam. 13:14).

David wanted to live in the house of the Lord throughout his life. He was regular to seek God. David desired “to gaze on the beauty of the Lord,” not his enemies or opposing situations. David knew that the Lord is his light; the Lord’s light will remove all the darknesses in his life. He found that the presence of the Lord or being in his presence and protection is a safer place from his enemies. Dwelling in the house of the Lord is indeed a great blessing (Ps.23:6; 26:8; 91:1). Assuredly, David would have various responsibilities and works in his life. However, his top priority or heart’s longing was to be with the Lord and seek him. Let us remember the words of Jesus to Martha: “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her” (Luke 10: 41, 42). Our worries bring no benefits or changes. But God can change anything. When we seek God, he gives us the confidence to face our problems and enemies. Do we still ask for worldly things and babble many things in our prayer? (Mt.6:5-8). Let us seek God, God alone in our life.

APPLICATION: When I face challenging situations in my life or living in abundance, I should remember that my ultimate need is God. No worldly things can give the joy, peace, security that I enjoy in the Lord; God dispels my fears and fills my life with his light. God is my first need; I should seek the Lord regularly. I must seek first God’s kingdom and his righteousness. My eyes should be on the Lord and the splendor of his holiness, not on my enemies.

PRAYER: Lord God, thank you for the light you have given in my life. You deliver me from my enemies. My God, help me keep my eyes focused on you and seek you always. Amen.  

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 209

No comments: