Sunday, July 4, 2021

God’s guidelines to pray in tough times

READ: 2 Chronicles 7, 8; Psalms 3; Acts 5:1-21

SCRIPTURE: 2 Chronicles 7: 13 “When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people,
14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

OBSERVATION: Disasters, whether it is artificial or natural or God-sent, affect our everyday life. In essence, they are destructive and cause irreparable or immediately not recoverable losses to human society. 2 Chronicles 7:20-22 presents a possible picture of a disaster that may come on the Israelites if they forget and forsake their Lord God, and worship pagan gods. Even mighty rulers would struggle to manage catastrophes such as famine, an uncontrollable spread of a disease that causes unpredictable impacts on society. Here, God offers his solution for such difficult times. When God’s people realize that God alone can save them from their present struggles, they need to do three things—they should humble themselves, pray and seek God’s face, and turn from their wicked ways. Then, in response, God will answer them, forgive their sin, and heal their land.

This passage reminds some essential truths that we must know and follow in our spiritual life. Perhaps, people who are called by God may go through a disastrous period in their life. However, when they seek God's intervention, they need to be humble before God; they must repent from their wicked ways, if any. By doing so, they not only save themselves but bring God's healing to the whole nation. A prayer without humility would never go beyond the roof. God is ready to answer us from heaven, willing to forgive our sin, and want to bring a change in our nation. Our restoration depends on our repentance from ungodly ways. Are we ready to humble ourselves before God with a heart of repentance? .

APPLICATION: I should not forget God and his words. I need to be careful to follow his words and should be cautious against any forms of idolatry. God can save me from any harmful situation or calamities. However, I need to remain in God and to repent from things/sins that displease God. When I am ready to be humble before God, he restores my life. My God is open to see me and hear my prayers. The Sooner I follow his guidelines, the sooner I receive God’s answer, forgiveness, and healing.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your instructions to pray in difficult times. My God, fill my heart with your love to be humble before you. Help me to say "NO" to any ungodly ways. Forgive me, oh Lord, if there is any offensive way in me. Lord, I need you; help me walk in the light of your truth and overcome my present struggles. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel

+91 9538328573

Day - 185

No comments: