Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Strengthen my hands, Oh Lord!

READ: Nehemiah 5,6; Psalms 25; Acts 18

SCRIPTURE: Nehemiah 6: 8 I sent him this reply: “Nothing like what you are saying is happening; you are just making it up out of your head.”
9 They were all trying to frighten us, thinking, “Their hands will get too weak for the work, and it will not be completed.” But I prayed, “Now strengthen my hands.”

OBSERVATION: The book of Nehemia is sometimes called “Memoirs of Nehemia,” owing to the first-person language of the text. Even today, Nehemiah is remembered for his leadership principles, short prayers, diligence in doing and completing his work, and trust in God’s strength. When Nehemiah started to rebuild the broken walls of Jerusalem, the enemies ridiculed the Jews by insulting them and tried to stop the work by discouraging them (Neh.2:19; 4:2-7). Despite Sanballat and his men continued their threats and evil schemes against Nehemiah, he continued the rebuilding work without turning his attention away from it. In Nehemiah 6, we read some of the tactics Sanballat and his men employed against Nehemiah. They wanted to kill Nehemiah, turn the king’s wrath against him, and discredit his leadership. Every time Nehemiah faced Sanballat’s messengers and his evil schemes, he replied, “Why should the work stop while I leave it and go down to you?” (v.3). When Sanballat sent “an unsealed letter” full of lies, Nehemiah did not waste his time to disprove the malicious lies of his enemy. He discerned that the letter was sent to cause fear and demoralize the workers by spreading wrong information. Nehemiah did not ask the Lord to stop the virulent attack of the enemy. But he prayed for more strength to face the challenges of his enemies. Nehemiah’s prayer expressed his heart’s desire to complete his work instead of running away from his responsibility. Nehemiah trusted God and his strength; he was steadfast in continuing his work.

What will we do if we face similar threats, insults, slanders, evil schemes to stop the good work we want to do? Do running away from our responsibility will solve the crises? In Nehemiah’s time, he had to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. In our time, our responsibility is even more since the present situation is more severe than in the time of Nehemiah. Now we may not see broken walls, but we come across people with broken hearts and relationships every day. Many people have no hope for their future and are struggling everywhere. We can ask the Lord to strengthen our hands to carry out the work he has for us during this time.

APPLICATION: I should not waste my time responding to unwanted things. Instead, I need to be diligent in my work and seek God’s strength to overcome the challenges in my life. My attention and eyes should be on God, not on my enemies. “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” (Ps.56:4; 118:6).

PRAYER: My God, thank you for answering my prayers and giving me the strength to do and complete my works. Lord, help me to trust and seek you always. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 207

No comments: