Sunday, July 18, 2021

A song of trust

READ: 2 Chronicles 33, 34; Psalms 16; Acts 12

SCRIPTURE: Psalms 16: 1 Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge.
2 I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.”

OBSERVATION: Right from the days of shepherding his father’s sheep, David faced so many dangers in his life. He had encountered ferocious animals as well as giants. There were times when David needed to flee away to protect his life. Many times he was hiding in caves and remote places. A mighty warrior, David pretended to be a mad man to escape from an endangered situation. In all his life, David had to face many problems after problems. Yet, he trusted God in every situation. In one of his difficult situations, David may have written Psalm 16.

Here we see a short prayer for protection in which David sought God’s help from a life-threatening event. David knew who God was. Hence, instead of telling about his trouble, he expressed his trust and faith in God. David understood that no harm or disaster could affect him if God would be his refuge. As David took refuge in God, he put his entire trust in God. David confessed his faith and said, “You are my Lord,” even during difficult times. David believed God was the only good thing among all the things he had in his life. So, with this trust, he was able to praise God, express his confidence and joy in the Lord, and his hope of the future.

We may face challenging situations that may make us run from pillar to post. Our problems vary from person to person. But our God never changes. We can trust him and take refuge in him. When we trust God, we will not worry about the outcomes of the problems we face now. Instead, we will see the goodness of God and all the blessings he stored for us. As the Bible says, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows” (Jam.1:17). We can always trust God.

APPLICATION: I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust” (Ps.91:2). “Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you…But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds” (Ps.73:25,28). In any situation, God is my strength. “I will not be shaken.”

PRAYER: Lord, you are my refuge in times of trouble. You never forsake those who trust you. My God, keep me safe. Lord, keep me in perfect peace; I trust in you alone. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 198

No comments: