Thursday, July 15, 2021

Return to the Lord

READ: 2 Chronicles 29, 30; Psalms 14; Acts 11: 1-18

SCRIPTURE: 2 Chronicles 30: 6 At the king’s command, couriers went throughout Israel and Judah with letters from the king and from his officials, which read: “People of Israel, return to the Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, that he may return to you who are left, who have escaped from the hand of the kings of Assyria.

OBSERVATION: When Hezekiah sent the letters, the Northern kingdom of Israel had already fallen into the hands of Assyrians; Hoshea was the last king of Israel. Assyrian king Shalmaneser deported the Israelites to his country, and Babylonians were settled in the land of Israel (2 Kings 18:9-11; 17:24). The southern kingdom of Judah also became weak (2 Kings 16:7). 2 Kings 17:7-23 and 2 Kings 18:12 give the reasons that why it had happened to Israel—The Israelites rejected God and his commandments and sinned against the Lord God by worshipping idols and following the practice of pagan people. God-fearing Hezekiah wanted to bring together all the Israelites to celebrate the Passover, to unite the people of Israel and Judah after about 200 years of Schism. He understood the need of the hour was to turning back to God.

So Hezekiah invited all the people and sent “couriers went throughout Israel and Judah.” Hezekiah called the remnants, who escaped from the hands of Assyrians, and challenged them to submit to the Lord and come to the sanctuary. Sometimes, people think about why this disaster or downfall happened to me. If we go through such things in our lives, we need to evaluate ourselves whether we are with God or went far away from him. Turning back to God brings back God’s blessings and protection in our life. We may have escaped from any serious life threats, or disasters, or diseases. Hezekiah’s message is appropriate even today: “Do not be stiff-necked, as your ancestors were; submit to the Lord. Come to his sanctuary, which he has consecrated forever. Serve the Lord your God, so that his fierce anger will turn away from you” (v.8). It is not the time to lament our loss but a time to come back to the Lord and worship him in obedience. Let us remember: Our God is “gracious and compassionate.” He is able to change our miseries if we return to him. Let us discern ourselves and submit to God.

APPLICATION: Earlier, I may have experienced God’s great deliverance and miracles in my life. However, God sees how I live with him TODAY. If I am not faithful to obey and worship God, I may face the enemy who “prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour” (1 Pet.5:8). But my God is “gracious and compassionate.” He can break the chains of my captivity and restore my life. When I realize that I am not with God, I must repent and return to God.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your love that saves your people. Lord, help me to be faithful to you today and always. My God, “Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go.” Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 196

No comments: