Saturday, July 24, 2021

I will fear no evil

READ: Nehemia 1,2; Psalms 23; Acts 16

SCRIPTURE: Psalms 23: 4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley (Or the valley of the shadow of death), I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

OBSERVATION: Psalm 23 has been one of the favorite Psalms for many Christians down through the centuries. We all love to say, “The Lord is my Shepherd” and receive the blessings of walking under his guidance. However, the central verse of Psalm 23, i.e., verse 4, usually receives less attention than the other verses. While Ps.23:1-3 and 5-6 speaks of the visible blessings of the Lord, verse 4 speaks of walking through the valley of the shadow of death where we can see nothing but darkness. We all want to have a good life filled with all the blessings and joy of the Lord. Right from our childhood, we hate to walk in darkness due to our innate fear. Our Shepherd and Lord Jesus never promised that we would have a life without any problems and difficult moments (Jn.10:11; 16:33). At times, we may walk through the darkest valley of our life where we struggle to see anything correctly. We may feel as if we are isolated and forsaken by all. We may ask questions like where God went during such a difficult situation in our life. Here, the psalmist says, “you are with me.” In our difficult times, whether we see God or not, he is always with us. So we need not be afraid of the darkness. We may not be able to see the Lord, but we can sense his touching and guidance even in the darkest time of our life. We can be sure of the Lord’s protection and guidancehis rod protects us from the enemies, his staff guides and comforts us in our struggles. We need not worry about anything in our life. We are in the safe hands of the Lord Jesus Christ. What do we achieve by worrying? (Mt.6:27-32). Instead of worrying in our difficult times, we can trust the Lord. Jesus will keep us away from all harm; he watches over our life (Ps.121:7).

APPLICATION: The Lord is always with me, whether I realize his presence in my life or not. I may face tough times in my life when I could see no visible help from others. But God protects and guides me with his rod and staff. Therefore, “I will fear no evil.” The darkest valleys in my life are not the destination of my life. They are places where I taste God’s abundant love and guidance in my spiritual journey with him. “I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever,” not in the valley of the shadow of death.

PRAYER: God, thank you for being my shepherd. I praise you for your guidance and protection during tough times. When “I walk through the darkest valley,” I understand that your presence in my life is the best blessing. Jesus, help me to hear and obey your voice today and all my life.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 205

No comments: