Thursday, July 15, 2021

Human obedience to God’s voice

READ: 2 Chronicles 27, 28; Psalms 13; Acts 10: 24-48

SCRIPTURE: Acts 10: 25 As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence.
26 But Peter made him get up. “Stand up,” he said, “I am only a man myself.”
27 While talking with him, Peter went inside and found a large gathering of people. 28 He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.
29 So when I was sent for, I came without raising any objection. May I ask why you sent for me?”

OBSERVATION: Peter and Cornelius met in obedience to the vision and voice of God. Here, we learn three important lessons: Touching the feet of elders, teachers, and godmen is an age-old tradition in India. Usually, people who receive such honor would not stop others when they touch their feet. But Peter immediately stopped Cornelius and said, “I am only a man myself.” As a servant of God, Peter was aware of who he was. He could have appreciated Cornelius for his humility. Instead, Peter humbled himself.

Secondly, Peter understood the meaning of the vision that God has shown him; he should not call anyone impure or unclean. It was not about eating prohibited food according to the law of Moses, as many Christians think. But it was about accepting all people without any partiality. A follower of Christ should not consider others as impure or unclean. God hates such inhuman practices. The Bible teaches us that “in humility value others above yourselves” (Phil.2:3).

Thirdly, We see Peter’s question concerning why Cornelius wanted to meet him. Peter never met Cornelius before. In obedience to the voice of the Lord, without even asking any question, Peter came to Cornelius’ house. If we would have been in Peter’s place, how many questions would we have asked! When the Lord told him to go without hesitation (v.20), he exactly followed the Lord’s voice. When Cornelius answered him, Peter understood that God shows no favoritism and accepts all who come to him (v.34,35). As he preached the good news of Jesus Christ, along with Cornelius, all who heard his message received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Peter and Cornelius obeyed the Lord’s vision and voice without any hesitation and question. Do we obey God’s word without any objection?

APPLICATION: When I go out for the Lord Jesus, I should not seek any self-glory. I should humble myself and exalt Jesus. I should not show any partiality or favoritism in my life and ministry. When I obey Jesus, people get an opportunity to hear the Gospel and receive the Holy Spirit’s blessing.

PRAYER: Lord Jesus, help me to love all people with your love and without any partiality. Holy Spirit, strengthen me to obey the word of God and live accordingly. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 195

No comments: