Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Friends, I want you to know Jesus

READ: Ezra 1,2; Psalms 18; Acts 13:13-52

SCRIPTURE: Acts 13: 38 “Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you.
39 Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses.

OBSERVATION: Right after his conversion, Paul started to preach the Gospel and became a powerful preacher who expounded the scriptures to prove that Jesus is the “Son of God” and “the Messiah” (Acts.9:20-22). In Acts 13, we see the first recorded sermon of Paul, almost 15 years after he preached his first sermon. Here, Paul relates Jewish history with the life of Jesus to prove Jesus is the son of God. In verses 38 and 39, with his sensible presentation of Jesus to the Jewish audience, Paul speaks of the crux of the Gospel—salvation, the forgiveness of sins, and justification. He challenged them to believe in Jesus Christ to receive something they could not gain through the law. Paul’s choice of words such as “I want you to know,” “proclaimed to you,” and “everyone who believes” urge the listeners to pay attention and take action to believe in Jesus. Jews who heard Paul’s message may have been surprised about the new teaching about Jesus that they could get the blessings of God free of cost, without doing any works. Earlier, they “were not able to obtain under the law of Moses.” But now, they can receive God’s gift when they believe in Jesus. Not only Jews, anyone who believes in Jesus can receive salvation, the forgiveness of sins, and justification. The Gospel of Jesus is relevant to anyone who hears it and in all the times. One cannot earn the gifts of God by doing something or following the law. Do we know this truth and believe in Jesus? All we need to do is “only believe.”

APPLICATION: My works or the law of Moses cannot save me. But Jesus died on the cross to make atonement for my sins. I am saved by God’s grace. I am forgiven because the blood of Jesus cleanses me from all sins and unrighteousness. I am justified by my faith in Jesus Christ; I have peace with God. I am loved by God. Jesus is alive even today. What more do I need to know!

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your love that saves me. I praise you for your abundant grace. Jesus, help me to stay right under your protection today and always. Holy Spirit, strengthen me to share the Gospel with those who do not know or heard about it. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day – 200

No comments: