Tuesday, June 22, 2021

A call to be a diligent worker

READ: 1 Chronicles 11, 12; Proverbs 22; John 19: 1-24

SCRIPTURE:  Proverbs 22: 29 Do you see someone skilled in their work?
They will serve before kings;
they will not serve before officials of low rank.

OBSERVATION: Some people believe in hard work; they think "hard work always works." Some believe in smart work; they believe in their cognitive abilities to plan and execute their work. They try to achieve success with minimum effort and with no hard work. Some others are faithful workers; they try to follow every instruction in their job description without fail. Pro.22:29 says about a diligent worker who has all the characteristics of a hard, smart, and faithful worker. The word "diligent" comes from the Latin diligere, which means "to value highly, take delight in" (Compare it with Pro.8:30). A diligent worker has high regard for his work and delights in doing it. He works with all of his heart and tries to do everything in the right way. His focus is not merely on completing a job but doing it excellently. The Lord gives the skills to be a diligent worker (Exo.35:30-36:2). Such diligent workers always succeed and will serve in high places or positions. The Bible says of many such diligent workers and great heroes of faith who served in royal palaces. 

Jesus taught us about being faithful and trustworthy in "a very small matter" and "in a few things" (Mt. 25:14-30; Luke 19:12-27). Apostle Paul shares practical advice to believers, "whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Cor.10:31). Whether we work in an office, or own a business, or work from home, or look after our house chores, we must do it for the Lord, not for the sake of doing it. God is with such diligent workers and makes them successful more and more in everything.

APPLICATION: I may not have all the skills for the work I do. But my God gives his Spirit to complete my work excellently. I need not be a perfectionist or legalist. As I trust God and his grace, I can rejoice in the Lord for the work he has placed before me. Whether it is great or small, I will gladly do the work of the Lord. As I diligently obey God, he lifts me and gives me more and more opportunities to serve him.

PRAYER: Father God, you have a unique call and work for everyone.  Jesus, help me to understand your heart desires rather than going in my way.  Lord, fill me with your Spirit and enable me to do all that you want. Help me, every day, to live a life that glorifies your name. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel

+91 9538328573

Day - 173


No comments: