Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Our innate fear of falling

READ: 2 Kings 7, 8 ; Proverbs 8 ; John 12: 1-26

SCRIPTURE:  John 12: 24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

OBSERVATION: John 12:24 says of an important principle for Christian livinglife through death. Sometimes, in despair people say, “I will not have peace of mind unless I die”, or “when will I see an end to all my problems?” Was Jesus saying something similar to this? Certainly, NO. In the original language of the Gospel, this starts with the word “amēn”, which is translated as “very truly” in English. The double emphasis on “amēn” expresses the importance of the message Jesus was about to say. Jesus said a profound truth of spiritual life.

If a kernel of wheat is not ready to fall to the ground, it would remain useless and “only a single seed.” This is a simple agricultural truth that we all know well. One grain of wheat can produce approximately 400 seeds in one season. But, it needs to be sown on the ground in order to be fruitful to  its master.  Science says that we are born with two innate fears: the fear of falling and the fear of loud noise. No one wants to fall. In other words, nobody wants to die. People think that death is the end of all. But, Jesus spoke of the death that produces life. In the context of this verse, Jesus was not saying the physical death of his followers. Rather, the verse refers to the willingness to sacrifice everything to follow Jesus Christ. Jesus wants us to follow him in every way, by denying self and by bringing many souls to eternity. He wants us to follow him and to be with him. By crucifying our selfish desires, sinful nature, and worldly love, in Christ, we gain eternal life. Remember, it is a voluntary act of love. Jesus set us an example to follow him. Are we still trying to live for ourselves? Jesus said: “Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.”

APPLICATION:  I will not allow my innate fear to stand between me and God. As apostle Paul says, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Gal.2:20). He chose me to bear fruit. As long as I remain in Jesus, I will bear much fruit for the glory of God. 

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for the abundant life you give me. Lord, help me to be fruitful and faithful to you, now and forever. Amen. 

- Arputharaj Samuel +91 9538328573

Day - 159

No comments: