Sunday, June 13, 2021

The exclusive claim of Jesus

READ: 2 Kings 15, 16; Proverbs 12; John 14: 1-14

SCRIPTURE: John 14: 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.


OBSERVATION: Although there are more than 4000 religions in the world, about 75% of the world population belongs to five major world religions. India is known as the birthplace of many religions and for its religious diversity. Many philosophers and teachers say, “Religions are like rivers; in the end, they all flow to the ocean.” In other words, you may follow different religions, but in the end, you all reach the same God. In the pluralistic religious context of our world, when a Christian says, “Jesus is the only way”, people think that it is absurd and theological violence against non-Christians. If someone says that Jesus is also or can be a way to God, many people gladly accept and add Jesus to their list of deities. One must know that Christians’ claim concerning Jesus is not their inventions. As we see here, Jesus himself says that “I am the way….No one comes to the Father except through me.” What is special in this statement? 


John 14:6 presents the sixth “I am” saying of Jesus. It is fascinating to see that all the seven “I am” sayings of Jesus are related to life. An ordinary human being cannot make such a bold claim. Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth and the life.” Before others started to call the followers of Jesus as Christians at Antioch, early Church Christians identified themselves as “the Way” (Acts 9:2). John describes that Jesus was “full of grace and truth.” He is the embodiment of God’s truth, and he is the life. In the history of the world, no one has ever claimed that I am the way, the truth, and the life. For, they all were mere human beings. They all pointed to something else as way, truth, and life, not themselves. Jesus was the only person who came from God and was God. So, he alone can bring people to God. There is no other way. Jesus’ exclusive claim was not a narrow-minded one. But it reveals the truth, i.e. the truth of God’s love that all humans can receive eternal life through Jesus. Jesus’ claim about himself was not to limit or to stop people from coming to God. Jesus wants to bring everyone to God without wasting their time, energy, and life. 


APPLICATION: I believe Jesus is the way. He leads me in his light and gives his life. His truth sets me free from all the bondages of my life. Through Jesus, I can experience God in my life every day.


PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for showing the way to the Father. I cannot walk in this heavenly way with my strength. Lord, I need your guidance and grace in this spiritual walk. Jesus, Help me to walk in your way and truth throughout my life. Amen.  


 - Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573

Day - 163

No comments: