Saturday, June 19, 2021

We cannot outgive god

READ: 1 Chronicles 5, 6; Proverbs 19; John 17: 20-26

SCRIPTURE:  Proverbs 19: 17 Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done.


OBSERVATION: Many statistics confirm that Christian individuals and organizations do more charity work than people who follow other faiths. In comparison with others, Christians spend almost double the amount on charity. People give various reasons to appreciate or to attack Christian charity. However, we Christians believe it is a way of expressing God's love to people in need. In fact, many verses in the Bible support God’s particular concern and care for the voiceless people—an alien, a widow, or an orphan, and the poor and needy ones (E.g., Exo.22:21-27; Ps.68:5; 82:3,4; Gal.2:10; James 1:27). When we help the poor and the needy people, God considers our act of love as a gift to him. Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me” (Mt.25:40). According to Pro.14:21, 31, those who show kindness to the poor are blessed and honor God through their actions. The people of the world may reject and refuse to help the poor people. But, our God never forsakes them but gives his utmost care for them. God does not expect us to provide the luxuries of this world to the poor people. As we see in Jesus’ parable in Mt.25, he wants us to start to show our love with essential items for life such as food, water, clothing, shelter, and love. 


When we do something for the poor, God never fails to reward us. He always repays more than what we spent for the poor. Further, God gives us his peace and joy while showing our love and kindness to the poor. Some consider that giving to the poor is a secret for financial blessing. But, it is a secret of blessing many people. In the cycle of giving and receiving, we get more from the Lord. Thus, it enables us to bless more people even beyond our capacity. We cannot outdo God in giving. God never will be a debtor to our acts of kindness. He offers more rewards than what we gave to the poor. 


APPLICATION: When I see poor people, I should voice their needs and defend their right to live. I should not say, “I cannot afford to give this” and be stingy. I need to learn to see the needy from God’s perspective and be ready to do what I could do. God sees my heart that gives, not how much I give to the poor. God wants me to be “a cheerful giver” (2 Cor.9:6,7). 


PRAYER: Father God, give me a wise heart to understand the needs of the needy ones. Lord, help me to share your blessings with the underprivileged people. Jesus, help me to keep my eyes on you. Help me to love the poor people as you love them. Amen.


 - Arputharaj Samuel +91 9538328573

Day - 170


No comments: