Sunday, June 27, 2021

Do you love Jesus?

READ: 1 Chronicles 21, 22; Proverbs 27; John 21: 15-25

SCRIPTURE: John 21: 17 The third time he (Jesus) said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.

OBSERVATION: The Gospel of John presents many exciting and insightful conversations between Jesus and others. Here, we see one of Jesus' final conversations, in which he helped Simon Peter understand a vital message to serve Jesus. When Jesus repeatedly asked, "Do you love me?" it would have raised many questions in Simon Peter's mind. It is evident that Peter "was hurt." Bible teachers give divergent explanations to why Jesus asked the same question "Do you love me?" three times: Since Peter denied Jesus three times, Jesus made him affirm his love and faith in Jesus, to reinstate him as his disciple; Like Jesus called Simon Peter to follow him after miraculous fishing (Luke 5), here, after a similar fishing miracle, Jesus restores Peter's calling and reinstates him as his disciple.

 In Greek, in this conversation, two different terms, agapaó (which refers to the unconditional and higher-level love between God and men) and philo (which means friendly love), are used to denote the word love. First two times, Jesus uses agapaó; in all three times, Peter invariably uses philo, which Jesus adapts in his final question. So some suggest that Jesus expected a higher level of love, but Peter did not understand it. Some say that there was no reason to use different words, as these two words are used interchangeably in the Gospel. However, the reinstatement of Peter in the presence of the other ten disciples and Peter's confession regarding whether he truly loved Jesus are the key points in this conversation.

"Do you love me more than these?" was Jesus' first question to Simon. This question may refer to multiple meanings: Do you love me more than you love these (other disciples)?; Do you love more than others love me?; Do you love me more than you love the things of the world? Peter is known for his devotion and love to the Lord Jesus; he openly expressed it many times. However, this time Peter had to submit himself to Jesus humbly. See the difference in his words when he realized that Jesus knows everything.


Jesus asks us the same question, "Do you love me more than these?" We may have misplaced our priorities and preferences on other persons or things of the world. It doesn't mean that we do not love Jesus. The question is whether we love Jesus more than we love other persons or things. Jesus knows that we love him.

APPLICATION: Jesus gives me another chance to love and follow him; he is the God of the second chances. He loves to restore the loving relationship with humanity. I should love Jesus more than any other person and things of the world. Jesus wants me to love and follow him. I cannot please him with my words and worldly possessions. He knows my heart and commitment to serve him faithfully. 

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for your love and care for me. At times, I denied you (secretly or openly) and went back to my old life. However, you, in your great love, gave me opportunities to come back to you. Thank you for your forgiveness. Lord my God, throughout my life, help me to love you just as you love me. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel

+91 9538328573

Day - 178

No comments: