Saturday, June 5, 2021

Where is the God of Elijah?

READ: 2 Kings 1, 2 ; Proverbs 5 ; John 10: 22-42

SCRIPTURE: 2 Kings 2: 13 Elisha then picked up Elijah’s cloak that had fallen from him and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan.
14 He took the cloak that had fallen from Elijah and struck the water with it. “Where now is the Lord, the God of Elijah?” he asked. When he struck the water, it divided to the right and to the left, and he crossed over.

OBSERVATION: Elisha knew that someday the Lord would take Elijah from him. Elijah was a great prophet who served God faithfully when the rulers and the whole nation were in Baal worship. He challenged the people to worship “the Lord—he is God!” Because of his demonstration of God's power, all the prophets of Baal were killed.  Although Elijah was a normal human being, he was known for his earnest prayers. Elijah’s simple life, powerful prophetic ministry, miracles and his sincere walk with the Lord would have impacted Elisha. After they miraculously crossed the river Jordan, suddenly Elijah was taken by the Lord. Elisha saw it. That means, he would receive what he asked for, a double portion of Elijah’s spirit. Notice that he did not ask for any worldly blessings or possessions. He wanted to have a double portion of Elijah’s gift of the spirit. Once Elijah was taken away from him, “Elisha then picked up Elijah’s cloak.” This shows his desire to continue Elijah’s ministry. Although he mourned for Elijah’s departure, he came back to the bank of the Jordan. 

When Elisha said, “Where now is the Lord, the God of Elijah?”, it was not the expression of his heart’s doubts and questions. Rather, it was his faith statement: although his master Elijah was no longer with him, God of Elijah was still with him. Elisha continued Elijah’s ministry from where he left it. Thus, the place where Elijah did his last miracle became Elisha’s first one. It was the beginning of a six decade long prophetic ministry of Elisha. 

In this world, all of us have an end date. Even great leaders, servants of God and mighty men and women of God they all would finish their race someday. When God takes someone who is very close to us, we feel the pain and find it hard to come out of our grief. Here, Elisha’s story reminds us that God is with us always as he was with great servants of the Lord. Are we ready to take the cloak of anointing to continue the ministry of God? Although Elisha asked a difficult thing from Elijah, the Bible testifies that God was faithful to Elisha and literally demonstrated its fulfilment in Elisha’s life. Jesus says, “Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Mt.28:20). We can be confident in him, “For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end” (Ps.48:11).

APPLICATION: When I go through or face a similar situation of Elisha i.e. losing someone very close to my heart and life, I need to put my faith in God. Like Elisha expressed his faith in the God of Elijah, I should trust God and his power. The God who did mighty deeds through great prophets and leaders is sufficient for me. When I trust God and put him first, he does amazing things in and through me. Am I ready to move forward with God? Or am I still struggling with the grief of separation and bereavement? The sooner I come to God, the sooner I’ll find his comfort and strength to continue to live my life for God’s glory. The God of Elijah is not somewhere, he is with me. 

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for reminding this eternal truth that you are always with me. You will never leave me nor forsake me. Lord, help me to be with you always. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel +91 9538328573

Day - 156


No comments: