Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Wanted: Godly officials like Obadiah

READ:  1 Kings 17, 18 ; Proverbs 2 ; John 9: 1-23

SCRIPTURE: 1 Kings 18: 3 Ahab had summoned Obadiah, his palace administrator. (Obadiah was a devout believer in the Lord.
4 While Jezebel was killing off the Lord’s prophets, Obadiah had taken a hundred prophets and hidden them in two caves, fifty in each, and had supplied them with food and water.)

OBSERVATION: In the above passage, we see three different characters in the history of the Kingdom of Israel: Ahab, Obadiah, and Jezebel. The meaning of Obadiah’s name—the servant of God or the worshipper of Yahweh— aptly refers to his devotion to the Lord. Godly Obadiah worked under one of the most wicked kings of Israel, Ahab who married a Baal  worshipper Jezebel. Ahab and Jezebel promoted Baal worship in Israel. We may wonder how a devout believer could work under these ungodly rulers. Obadiah held an important responsibility, i.e. the king's palace administration. Ahab's sending of Obadiah to find grass for his animals  shows how important he was to the king. During the famine that was prophesied by Elijah, Ahab was worrying about feeding his animals and desperately searched for the grass. On the other hand, Obadiah was concerned for the prophets and protected them. It is interesting to see that while King Ahab was searching for food for his animals, his servant Obadiah was able to feed the prophets. The intensification of the famine exposed the inability of the ungodly Ahab and Jezebel.

Many people have moral and ethical dilemmas to work under ungodly conditions. They may think that quitting the job would save them from any moral failures. However, we should remember that in every work place there will be such dilemmas, only its amount or level may vary from place to place. This doesn’t mean that we need to adjust and compromise our moral values. Rather, if God wants us to stay where we are, he will surely give us his strength to face all the problems and to keep ourselves holy. Remember, even a small lamp will remove the darkness of the night. The presence of godly persons in high positions will give hope to people and will help to protect the interests of the voiceless ones. When we see the present confusion and disparities in the world, it makes us think that we need more godly officials like Obadiah.

APPLICATION: Wherever I work, whatever job I do, whether it is a workspace or home, I  work for God. Firstly, I am a servant of God. As long as my work responsibility does not compel me to compromise my godly behaviors, I can be a witness to God to do his will in ungodly working conditions. God will work through me to bring his intended changes in those conditions. I keep the Lord always before me. I should do what God wants me to do.

PRAYER: Father, thank you for the godly officials in our country.  My God, help me to understand the purpose of my life and your will. Lord, in my work and life, help me to be faithful to you. Give me your strength to stand for you and to do what is right in any situation.  Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel +91 9538328573

Day - 153

No comments: