Sunday, June 20, 2021

A rhetorical question

READ: 1 Chronicles 7, 8; Proverbs 20; John 18: 1-24

SCRIPTURE: Proverbs 20: 9 Who can say, “I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin”?

OBSERVATION: The Bible has many rhetorical questions that call our attention to the profound truths of God. The question in Proverbs 20:9 is one of such questions. Everybody knows the actual state of his/her heart condition. The Bible says, “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Rom.3:23). No one is clean and without sin. Yet, many people are not ready to accept it. Instead, they wrongly accuse Christians that they call everyone a sinner. Apostle John writes, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us” (1 John 1: 8-10).  According to this passage, we can either deceive ourselves or confess our true state to receive God’s forgiveness. Those who are forgiven by God alone can have a pure heart (Ps 51:1,2, 9,10). Humans cannot clean their hearts with their efforts. Those who try to clean their hearts on their own either seclude themselves from others or wander in isolated places and punish themselves by various means. In the end, they say all human efforts are nothing but vain and meaningless.

The Bible says, “the blood of Jesus...purifies us from all sin” (1 Jn.1:7); Jesus “gave himself for our sins” (Gal.1:4). The Bible does not ask a rhetorical question to accuse everyone. God already knows what is in the heart of every person. No one needs to tell him. He knows the answer will be NO. Instead of deceiving ourselves with worldly lies, God wants all people to come to him to accept his solution for human depravity. God loves everyone and welcomes all who come to him.  Instead of wasting our time and life in vain things, it is better to seek God and his forgiveness to have clean hearts. “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God” (Mt.5:8).

APPLICATION: I cannot keep my heart pure and be clean without sin. I need Jesus. He purifies my heart from all evil desires and deeds and makes me whole. I should not justify my sins and blame others. The sooner I come to Jesus, the sooner I can find his grace and mercy. When I confess my sins and ask his forgiveness, Jesus accepts me as his own. I am no longer a slave to sin but a son/daughter of Jesus. I am a member of God’s great family, the church.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for reminding me of the true state of my heart. Thank you for your provision to clean my heart from all sins. Jesus, cleanse my heart and make it your home. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel +91 9538328573

Day - 171


No comments: