Thursday, June 10, 2021

The exemplary life of Jesus

READ: 2 Kings 11, 12; Proverbs 10; John 13: 1-20

SCRIPTURE: John 13: 12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them.
13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am.
14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.
15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.

OBSERVATION: In India, washing the feet of elders and teachers is considered as a practice to honour them. It is unusual that a respectable person washes the feet of a lowly or younger one. In Jewish tradition, untying the straps of one's sandals was considered as a menial job (Jn.1:27). Here, we read that Jesus washed the feet of his disciples. Even a Jewish servant would not do this, only a slave would do this job. Jesus’ humility was beyond any cultural and social norms. Jesus was not doing it under any compulsion. He set an example for his disciples to follow his humility. This is not something that one would choose to do only if he wants to do it. Jesus expects that each of his disciples should be humble in serving others.

Earlier Jesus firmly told his disciples, “Not so with you” and warned them not to be like the worldly rulers. (Mt.20: 26; Luke 22:27). Jesus' disciples should not abuse their authority but should serve people humbly. In John 13, Jesus shows his example of humbly serving others. Jesus was not saying that you should have this practice of “washing feet” as part of your liturgy or your important functions. Rather, he wants us to practice humility in our daily life. Like Jesus, We Christians should be ready to do any work for the Lord, even if it is something that no one likes to do. Let us remember that Jesus humbled himself to save all of us. In our life, let us have the same mindset as Christ Jesus (Phil.2:5-11). 

APPLICATION: Jesus’ exemplary life is appropriate for all ages and always. However, without love and humility, I cannot follow the footsteps of my Lord Jesus. My focus should not be on worldly positions and powers. I will not work with worldly expectations and assumptions related to serving people. I will be ready to serve people who are in need and will do whatever I could do for them. 

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for the great example that you set before me. Help me, to be cautious about false humility. Lord, strengthen my feet to walk with you in love and humility. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel

+91 9538328573

Day - 161


No comments: