Friday, June 18, 2021

Guard your tongue

READ: 1 Chronicles 3, 4; Proverbs 18; John 17: 1-19

SCRIPTURE: Proverbs 18: 20 From the fruit of their mouth a person’s stomach is filled; with the harvest of their lips they are satisfied.
21 The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

OBSERVATION: World leaders take cautious steps to prevent the misuse of deadly weapons. They give extreme protection to such weapons and make treaties with other nations to safeguard the interests of their country and people. Many people who are concerned about the appropriate use of weapons give less or no attention to the use of their tongues. The Bible says, “The tongue has the power of life and death.”  The Bible contains many stories and verses that illustrate the power of words—words have the power to heal or to destroy, to bless or to curse, and it can build or ruin relations. Here, Pro.18:20 says that the fruit of a person’s mouth fills his/her stomach. Pro.12:14 says the fruit of lips fills a man with good things. Indeed, we all need to be careful about what we speak. An ancient Tamil adage says we can collect the spilled rice grains, but we cannot collect our spilled careless words. Pro.13:3 aptly says, “Those who guard their lips preserve their lives.”

At times, we wonder, “why did I say that?” or “why did s/he say that?”  Many people find it difficult to forget the pain and hurt of harsh words; they struggle with bitterness, hate, and inner wounds. Jesus says, “the mouth speaks what the heart is full of” (Mt.12:34; Lk.6:45).  One’s lips merely execute the commands of his/her heart; they never speak by themselves. Some preachers interpret Pro.18:21, “What you say, what you get.” With our words, we can bring healing and life to others’ lives. Remember: we can never justify our empty words. David prays, “Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips” (Ps.141:3). Heb.13:15 invites us to offer “a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips.” We have no control over the words we have already spoken. However, we can ask God to fill our hearts with his words, to speak the life-giving words. 

APPLICATION: I want to fill my heart with God’s word. I desire to bring healing and peace through my words. I need to be careful to guard my tongue and lips. I must remember, “when the words are many, sin is not absent” (Pro.10:19). I should speak what the Lord wants me to speak. As Jesus’ words are “full of the Spirit and life,” my words should reflect the life and the Spirit I received from Jesus.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your word that gives healing, peace, and life to me. Lord, guard my heart and lips to speak the right words. I am sorry for my past careless words; forgive me, oh God. Jesus, help me to speak your words that cause joy, peace, and healing in others’ lives. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel

+91 9538328573

Day - 169

No comments: