Monday, June 14, 2021

Christ’s peace is our inheritance

READ: 2 Kings 17, 18; Proverbs 13; John 14: 15-31

SCRIPTURE: John 14: 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

OBSERVATION: Shalom (which means peace) was/is the most common greeting and parting phrase in the Hebrew language. In general, people use customary greetings, whether they really like it or not, when they meet others.  Here, Jesus’ words are unique from the customary greeting phrases. Jesus already told his disciples that soon he would go to His Father. After three years of close relationship and ministry, they would have worried about it. Jesus knew what exactly they needed at that time. Jesus’ disciples had directly seen how Jesus handled all the problems, cunning questions, and oppositions.  So, when Jesus says, “my peace I give you,” he is not saying empty words and promises. He really means it. As we all know, worldly peace is circumstantial and temporary. Depending on our situation, it varies. But Jesus says, “I do not give to you as the world gives.” The bible says Jesus is the prince of peace. Would a king ever say to an ordinary citizen that I give my kingdom to you?  Here Jesus says that I give my peace. 

The world may offer some temporary external peace; it cannot give us peace within. People are wandering in search of peace. They try to find it in quiet places, meditation, therapies, etc. Yet, they find nothing but disappointments, frustration, and failures. On the other hand, the bible says of “the peace of God, which transcends all understanding” (Phil.4:7). With the peace of Jesus, his disciples need not worry or fear about anything. Jesus’ peace is not a promise for his disciples but an inheritance to them. We may not be able to see Jesus physically. But, we can always experience his peace, regardless of our situations. Jesus' peace gives us the strength to face all the trials of our lives and to remain calm.

APPLICATION: Jesus wants me to believe in him and his words rather than the lies of the world. He will not leave me as an orphan. When I love Jesus, as he promised, he comes into my heart and lives within me. I do not need to wander to find peace. I can see it within, in Jesus. Jesus makes my heart happy and fills me with his peace. His peace guards my heart and gives me hope against all hopes.

PRAYER: Jesus, thank you for your comforting words that give me peace and strength to face my life. Lord, you are my peace. My Lord Jesus, help me to experience and spread your peace everywhere I go. Amen.

 - Arputharaj Samuel

+91 9538328573

Day - 164

No comments: